This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1335649



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Dalston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Sep-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 78323

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


NY 34 NE DALSTON Hawkesdale

10/137 Hawkesdale Hall

G.V. II*

House. Late C17 with addition dated and inscribed over rear entrance 1704 J. & M.N. (Nicholson). Painted rendered walls,with V-jointed quoins and heavily moulded cornice,on chamfered painted plinth. Graduated greenslate roof;painted stone chimney stacks. Extension: painted render over brick; graduated slate roof; large square painted stone chimney stack. 3 storeys, 5 bays; 2-storey, 3-bay extension to right. C20 door with glazed fanlight in painted roll moulded architrave with pulvinated frieze. Early C19 glazed wooden porch with panelled pilasters and radial fanlight. Sash windows with broad glazing bars in painted chamfered surrounds under moulded cornices. Yorkshire sash windows in chamfered painted surrounds on second floor. Newcastle fire insurance company mark over entrance. Interior: Late C17 staircase for full 3 storeys with barley-twist balusters and broad moulded handrail. Ground floor room right of hall has heavily carved and moulded C18 stone fireplace; flanking panelled cupboard to right and half-domed shelved recess to left, all in eared architraves. Room left of hall has panelled plaster ceiling. Panelled doors throughout. Late C17 wooden panelled first floor bedroom. Extension: 2- & 3-light stone-mullioned windows in chamfered stone surrounds. Known as Hawkesdale Low House in 1694 when John Nicholson, brother of the Bishop of Carlisle, was the owner. His son Joseph, resident in the house until his death, was joint author with Dr Richard Burn of a History of Westmorland and Cumberland published in 1777. See Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, lv, pp345-6.

Listing NGR: NY3746447710

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, , Vol. 55, (), 345-6

National Grid Reference: NY 37464 47710


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1335649 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2017 at 11:26:54.

End of official listing