MEMORIAL CROSS TO JOHN RUSKIN APPROXIMATELY 23 METRES EAST OF ST ANDREW'S CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1335749
Date first listed:
22-Sep-1987
Statutory Address:
MEMORIAL CROSS TO JOHN RUSKIN APPROXIMATELY 23 METRES EAST OF ST ANDREW'S CHURCH

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1335749.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2020 at 03:58:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
MEMORIAL CROSS TO JOHN RUSKIN APPROXIMATELY 23 METRES EAST OF ST ANDREW'S CHURCH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
South Lakeland (District Authority)
Parish:
Coniston
National Park:
LAKE DISTRICT
National Grid Reference:
SD 30280 97568

Details

CONISTON SD 39 NW 5/80 Memorial cross to John Ruskin approx 23m east of St Andrew's Church

II

Memorial in form of Anglo-celtic cross. 1901. By W.G. Collingwood, an expert in ancient crosses. Slightly tapering rectangular shaft, cross head with swept arms. Interlace scrollwork and symbolic panels. Memorial reads: "JOHN RUSKIN/ 1819:1900". East face has, from bottom to top: youth playing lyre; inscription with interlace above and below; youth sketching in Swiss Alps (representing "Modern Painters"); St Mark's Lion (Stones of Venice); 7 branched candlestick (Seven Lamps of Architecture). Cross head has interlace and hemisphere. South face has scrollwork of dogrose with squirrel, kingfisher and wren. West face has scene from parable of vineyard ("Unto This Last"); lilies and sesame seeds ("Sesame and Lilies"); crowned angel holding club, key and nail ("Fors Clavigera"); olive wreath ("Crown of Wild Olive"); St George and dragon (representing Guild of St George). North face has interlace panel. John Ruskin was the foremost art critic of the Victorian age, and also wrote on social and economic matters.

Listing NGR: SD3028097568

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
76784
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12366/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gordon Furness. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].