CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST BEGA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1336027
Date first listed:
09-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST BEGA, B5345

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST BEGA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1336027 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 15:41:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST BEGA, B5345

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Copeland (District Authority)
Parish:
St. Bees
National Grid Reference:
NX 96883 12118

Details

NX 91 SE (INSET) 8/66

ST BEES B5345 (West side) Church of St Mary and St Bega

9.3.67 GV

I Benedictine Priory, now Parish Church. Present building dates from re-foundation c1120. Unroofed at Dissolution, re-roofed 1611 for use as Parish Church; further restoration 1622. Extensively remodelled and restored by Butterfield in C19: 1855, transepts re-roofed; 1858, tower repaired; 1881 aisles re-roofed.

Sandstone blocks on plinth (moulded in places); buttresses added at west end. North transept arm retains parts of original arched corbel table, and string below windows. Welsh slate roofs.

Nave with aisles, transept, crossing tower, and short chancel.

Original Romanesque west door of four semi-circular orders (under hoodmould) carried between ornamentally carved cushion capitals. Three outer orders carved with chevron interspersed with heads; only one of original jamb shafts survives; inner order plain, with compound respond. Late C20 fittings to doors. C19 lancet to end of each aisle and three above door. C19 two- and three-light aisle windows, restored two- and three-light C17 clerestory windows. Traceried C19 chancel windows.

Interior: Six-bay nave arcade carried on alternating cylindrical/octagonal piers (except central north, clustered kneeled shafts); pointed, moulded arches with continuous hoodmould. Clerestory windows over spandrels. Pointed, moulded crossing arches carried on keeled responds. C19 walls, pierced with large cinquefoils, separate aisles from transept. Chancel extends into crossing. Polychromed blind arcading to east wall, Minton floor tiles. Painted cast-iron altar rail; ornate 1886 painted cast/wrought iron chancel screen. Medieval bracket piscina in north transept arm. Numerous inscribed/carved medieval grave slabs in north transept arm and east end of south aisle. Stone set in south wall at west end of aisle inscribed and dated 1611, said to commemorate repairs carried out by churchwardens. Old and New Testament cycles in C19 stained-glass windows. Octagonal marble font in south aisle given by contractor in 1858. C19 octagonal wooden pulpit.

Listing NGR: NX9688412121

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
76164
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/01577/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Julian Thurgood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].