THE COLLEGE GATEWAY (ALL SAINTS PARISH ROOM) AND THE COLLEGE TOWER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1336234
Date first listed:
30-Jul-1951
Statutory Address:
THE COLLEGE GATEWAY (ALL SAINTS PARISH ROOM) AND THE COLLEGE TOWER, COLLEGE ROAD, MAIDSTONE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE COLLEGE GATEWAY (ALL SAINTS PARISH ROOM) AND THE COLLEGE TOWER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1336234 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 19:21:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE COLLEGE GATEWAY (ALL SAINTS PARISH ROOM) AND THE COLLEGE TOWER, COLLEGE ROAD, MAIDSTONE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Maidstone (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 76021 55371

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 23/02/2017

TQ 7555 SE 6/71 TQ 7655 SW 7/71

COLLEGE ROAD The College Gateway (All Saints Parish Room) and The College Tower.

(Formerly listed as The College Gateway (All Saints Parish Room) and The College Tower, MILL STREET)

30.7.51.

GV I Archbishop Courtenay was licensed to build a Collegiate Church in 1395. He died in 1396 and the building was continued by Archbishop Arundel in 1396-1398. The college was for a master and 24 chaplains.

The main surviving building consists of the Gatehouse and to the west of it, the Refectory, Kitchen and Scullery with the Dormitory and Infirmary above. It is of Kentish ragstone in Perpendicular style. The gatehouse is a three storeyed square building containing pointed stone carriage and pedestrian arches on the ground floor and castellated parapet above. Square-headed windows of two trefoil-headed lights each with dripstones over, those on the top floor having two tiers of such lights. Stone ribbed tierceran star vaulting beneath the arches. On the left of the entrance arch is a two-storeyed room with oven probably used for baking bread to be distributed as alms at the gate. Joining this to the west is a two-storeyed range with six square-headed windows containing pairs of cinquefoil-headed lights but no dripstones over. Tiled roof. Stringcourse. Stone chimneybreast in the centre of the north front with modern red brick stack above it. three storeyed tower at the west end of the building known as the River Tower with the Muniment Room on the top floor. Similar windows to the rest of the building and castellated parapet over.

Gateway and Wall to Palace Gardens, Wall to north-west of Archbishop's Palace, The Archbishop's Palace, Wall to east of Archbishop's Palace, The Dungeons at the Archbishop's Palace, The Gate House at the Archbishop's Palace, The Len Bridge, The Tithe Barn, Parish Church of All Saints, Wall to north and west of All Saints Church, The College Gateway, The College Tower, The Master's House, The Master's Tower, Cutbush Almshouses and the Ruined Gateway form a group.

Listing NGR: TQ7600055368

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
173441
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/00913/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Vigar. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].