BRIDGE PLACE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1336506
Date first listed:
29-Sep-1952
Statutory Address:
BRIDGE PLACE, BOURNE PARK ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1336506.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 07:06:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
BRIDGE PLACE, BOURNE PARK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Canterbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Bridge
National Grid Reference:
TR 18121 53908

Details

1. 5273 BRIDGE BOURNE PARK ROAD (west side)

Bridge Place TR 1853 22/163 29.9.52 TR 15 SE 13/163

II*

2. L-shaped building which is all that remains of a large mansion built by Sir Arnold Braems in the late C17, the remainder having been demolished by John Taylor of Bifrons, Patrixbourne, between 1704 and 1729. Red brick. Brick pilasters flank each window bay. Bracketed wood eaves cornice. Brick stringcourse. Steeply-pitched hipped tiled roof. The north or entrance front has 2 and a half storeys. Two hipped dormers. Modern porch. Five windows, irregular, with mostly casements with wooden mullions and transoms, some small square leaded panes but two bung sash windows with glazing bars. Some of the windows at the east end are dummies and were probably blocked when sash windows were inserted in the east front. Rusticated stone doorway with keystone in modern porch. The east front has 2 storeys, attic and basement. Four windows and 2 hipped dormers, windows having glazing bars and hung sashes. The interior has unusual carved cornices in two rooms and two painted stone fireplaces.

Listing NGR: TR1812153908

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
171008
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06429/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Diana Forrest. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].