Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1337099.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 11:35:15.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Thurrock (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 56758 80088


1. 5221 HIGH STREET Aveley Church of St Michael TQ 58 SE 4/16 8.2.60


2. C12 with C13, C14 and C19 alterations. Rough coursed flint and ragstone with Roman and C16 brick. Tower and dressings are of limestone. Roofs, lead, slates and tiles. C12 Nave has C13 north arcade with 2 centred arches, cylindrical columns with moulded bases and bell capitals. Round headed opening to roof loft. South arcade is C12, with round arches, C15 clerestory with C19 windows. C13 north aisle has 2, C15 windows, of 2 cinquefoiled lights. C19 north doorway. C15 west window. C14 south aisle has original east window. South wall has 2 windows, of C14, rebuilt C19. C14 south doorway with a 2 centred head. (Now blocked). C13 chancel has C19 east window. North arcade is original with 2 centred arches, of 2 chamfered arches. South wall has 3 windows, 2 are C19 with C13 splays and one C15, with 3 cinquefoiled lights. Doorway of C15, with 2 centred arch. C13 chapel has C19 east window. Two windows in north wall are C19 but incorporating C15 and C13 material. C13 west tower of 2 stages with an embattled parapet. Original tower arch is 2 centred. C15 west window of 3 cinquefoiled lights. C15 west doorway has moulded jambs and 2 centred head. Bell chamber has 4 windows, of C15, but largely rebuilt C19. C15 north porch. Nave roof has arch braced tie beam visible and there is original timber roofing in the tower. 1621, pulpit, brass to Ralph de Knevington (1370) and other brasses, monuments and C15 screen. (RCHM 1).

Listing NGR: TQ5675880088


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/03990/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M W Keogh. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].