TL 50 NE FYFIELD WILLINGALE ROAD
5/74 (South side)
Church of St. Nicholas
Parish church. C12, C13, C14 with C18 and C19 alterations. Flint rubble with
limestone dressings, and late C18 red brick. Early C14 Chancel has part C14
east window, restored in C19, but retaining its original carved jambs, featuring
foliate designs, and heads and animals in the rear arch. Externally is a C14
arched access to the bone hole, now blocked. North wall has 2 early C14
windows, one single and one double trefoiled head. Moulded internal and
external labels, with head stops. South wall has 2 similar windows but east
window has moulded capitals. C12 central tower of 2 stages, rebuilt at top
in brick in C18. It is surmounted by a square timber lantern and octagonal
spire, all weatherboarded. C19 Chancel arch, and C19 organ chamber on"north
side. South wall has restored early C14 window, with shafted splays and moulded
capitals and bases. Nave arch is C14, with attached shafts. In the second
stage are 2 C12 windows; with splays and semi-circular arches of Roman brick.
North wall has C17 window. Stair turret has C12 brick newel and stone steps.
C12 Nave has north arcade of early C13. 3 bays long, with 2 centred arches
of 2 chamfered orders. Circular columns with moulded bases, square plinths
and moulded capitals. Mid to late C13 south arcade also of 3 bays with 2
centred arches, but with octagonal columns which have moulded capitals and
bases. West wall has C19 door and window. Early C13 north aisle has mid C15
window in east wall, now serving the organ chamber. North wall has one late
C14 window of 2 cinquefoiled ogee lights with tracery in a square head, and
one C19 window. Late C14 north doorway with moulded jambs and 2 centred arch.
Mid to late C13 south aisle has 3 windows in south wall. C19 restoration,
with C14 splays and chamfered rear arch remaining on the western window. South
door is late C14 extensively restored. C13 window in west wall. C18 north porch
has C14 moulded and cambered tie beam, and wall plate. Nave roof has 3 crown
posts, apparently late C14 or early C15, extensively restored in C19. Chancel
roof is of 1893. Piscina with moulded and shafted jambs with moulded bases and
capitals, moulded and cinquefoiled head with moulded label. Circa 1330-40.
Credence, east of piscina, with plain jamb and 2 centred head with moulded
label, recess and arch. 3 bay sedilia, in Chancel, with moulded and
cinquefoiled arches and moulded label with head stops, moulded string course
above arches, resting on 2 octagonal shafts with moulded bases and capitals.
Moulding of capitals returned along lintels to the back wall, responds with
attached half shafts. St. Nicholas roundels in one spandrel. Clunch and
Purbeck marble. Circa 1330-40. Stoup in north aisle with re-used C14 trefoiled
head. C12 font, with square tapering bowl, carved with leaves and fleur-de-lys.
Slab with arms of Scrope family said to be under organ, and marks the resting
place of Henry, Lord Scrope, executed by Henry V at Southampton in 1415. (ROT
Listing NGR: TL5725406760