PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1337907
Date first listed:
21-Jun-1962
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1337907.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Feb-2020 at 21:11:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Braintree (District Authority)
Parish:
Earls Colne
National Grid Reference:
TL 86066 28826

Details

TL 8628-8728 EARLS COLNE HIGH STREET (south side)

9/94 Parish Church of St. 21.6.62 Andrew

GV I

Parish church. C14, C15 and C16, with earlier origin, and much rebuilding and restoration, c.1864. Flint rubble with limestone dressings, and some red brick in English bond, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. Nave of unknown origin, possibly C13, Chancel and S aisle c.1340, W tower c.1460, partly rebuilt in 1534, N aisle, N chapel, and S chapel C19. S porch C19, retaining the C15 roof. The fabric of the Chancel is medieval, but no original features are apparent; it has 2 diagonal buttresses. The Nave has a C19 N arcade of 3 bays. The S arcade, c.1340, is of 3 bays with 2-centred arches of 2 moulded orders; the octagonal piers and semi-octagonal W respond have moulded capitals and C19 bases; the E respond is C19, the E arch has been rebuilt, and elsewhere there is much C19 surface alteration. The roof of the Nave is C16, in 5 bays, with moulded principals, collars, and arch-braces to them, hollow-chamfered wind-braces, saltire bracing above the collars, and a carved boss on each collar. The N chapel has a reset window of c.1340, partly restored, of 2 trefoiled ogee lights with tracery in a 2-centred head. The S chapel is C19, with some C14 moulded voussoirs re-used in the W arch. The S aisle has in the S wall 2 restored C14 windows, each of 2 cinquefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a 2-centred head, with moulded label and rear-arch; further W is the S doorway, with C14 splays and moulded 2-centred rear-arch; the W window incorporates some old stones. The roof of the S aisle is late C14, of 6 bays, with moulded wallplates, principals, collars and purlins, and a carved boss on each collar; one has the de Vere molet. The roof of the S porch is of crownpost construction in one bay, with moulded and crenellated wallplates, moulded tiebeams, and hollow-chamfered collar-purlin and axial braces. The W tower is of 3 stages, with diagonal buttresses and a SE stair-turret; the 1534 rebuild is in red brick. The C15 tower-arch is moulded and 2-centred, and springs from moulded and shafted responds with moulded capitals to the shafts. The W doorway is C19; to either side of it is a C15 moulded string course with carved flowers and heads. The second stage has in the E and W walls a single C15 light with a trefoiled head; a similar window in the N wall has been removed. The bell-chamber has in the E, S and W walls a C15 window of 3 cinquefoiled lights with tracery in a square head. In the N wall is a restored early C16 window of 3 cinquefoiled lights in a square head. The crow-stepped and crenellated parapet is enriched with panels of flint inlay having cinquefoiled or trefoiled heads; the larger panels have each the de Vere molet; in the middle of the E and W sides is a carved achievement of arms; below the E one is the date 1534 and the regnal year H.8.25. The first floor has 2 bridging beams each way, with wall-pieces with arched braces. The stair-turret has an early C16 doorway of brick with a 4-centred head, and a parapet with flint inlay and the de Vere molets. The weather-vane is late C17 or early C18, with a copper corona and cock. Monuments. In the S chapel and S aisle are monuments (1) of Richard Harlackendon, 1602, and Elizabeth (Hardres), Elizabeth (Blatchendon), Jane (Josceline) and Anne (Dewhurst), his wives, small painted wall-monument of alabaster with kneeling figures of man and wives flanked by pilasters supporting an entablature, achievement and 4 shields of arms, restored early in the C18, (2) to Jane and Mabell Harlackendon, 1614, plain rectangular tablet, (3) to John Eldred, 1646, rectangular tablet with marble frame and cornice, supported on 2 stone heads, (4) to Mehetabell, daughter of Edward Eileston, 1657, oval tablet with white marble frame, (5) to John Eldred, 1709, plain stone, removed from Little Birch, (6) to Samuel Tufnell, 1722, and members of the Cressener family, (7) to Daniel Androwes, 1681, his widow Mary, 1729, white marble table with coat or arms, (8) to John Eldred, 1682, his son John, 1717, and his son John, 1732, white marble tablet with coat of arms, removed from Little Birch, (9) to George Biddulph, 1726, his widow Frances, 1753, and his niece Elizabeth Wale, white marble tablet with coat of arms, (10) to John Wale, 1761, his wife Anne, 1770, and Richard Wale, 1761, black marble tablet in white marble surround, with coat of arms above, and below a roundel with a winged Mercury carved in low relief by I.F. Roubiliac, (11) to Henry Anderson, 1823, white marble on grey marble with side-scrolls, (12) to Anne (Carwardine) Probert, 1836, white marble urn on black marble. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TL8606628826

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
115942
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/04164/19
Rights: Copyright IoE David Guthrie. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].