This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1338719



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Goudhurst

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Jun-1989

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 169538

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


GOUDHURST HIGH STREET TQ 7237-7337 (north side) 15/188 Church House and Church 9.6.52 Cottage (formerly listed as Coffee House and Church Cottage) GV II* House pair. C16, altered C18. Timber-framed and clad with weather boarding and red brick and tile hanging on 1st floor with plain-tiled roof. Two builds; Church House lobby entry plan with 4 framed bays, with Church Cottage recessed and returned to right. Two storeys, attic and basement. Declining up slope to right to plinth. Continuous jetty to Church House, with moulded bressummer on brackets. Moulded wooden modillion eaves cornice across whole front and returned to side elevations. Hipped roof with slight gablets, with central-left moulded stack with arched recessed panel, and stacks projecting at end right and to rear right. Four flat roofed dormers with leaded lights. Three mullioned and tran- somed 3 light leaded windows with 2 light to centre and sash window at end right on 1st floor, with 8 light mullioned and transomed window to left and 2 three light windows to centre right and right on ground floor. Door of 3 moulded panels to right and flight of 6 steps. Fine moulded panelled double doors to centre left in large moulded and four centred arched surround with carved fernleaf and letter 'B' in spandrels, at head of flight of 8 steps. Ornate scrolled wrought iron sign bracket and frame to centre on 1st floor. Two moulded 9 panelled carriage doors to basement. Right return with 2 light mullioned and transomed windows on each floor, with outshot canted forward at end right. Interior: Plank and muntin panelling in principal dining room, moulded ceiling beams throughout and murals on stair landing reported. Originally a cloth hall, the building was subsequently a Tavern, a barracks for the anti-smuggling Militia band at Goudhurst and the base of William Rootes Snr's. Bicycle business c.1900 from which developed the Rootes motor group.

Listing NGR: TQ7232837823

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 72327 37819


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1338719 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 11:06:09.

End of official listing