This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1339053



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ropley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 31-Jul-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 142375

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



3/17 Church of St Peter 31.7.63 GV II

Parish church. Norman nave (C11) with C12 transepts, C13 chancel with south chapel, C14 timber-framed bell tower inset into the south transept, south porch c1700, north chapel (vestry) of 1846, and north aisle (obliterating the north transept) of 1896. The exterior is mainly of 1896; flint walls with stone and brick dressings, and a tile roof of 3 ridges. The oldest part of the structure is the south wall of the nave, and the south transept, with C14 walling to the south chapel, and these sections contain a C12 doorway, a C15 Perpendicular south door, a C16 window to the nave, and a small C14 window to the chapel; elsewhere the details are Victorian. Interior: generally Victorian, but there are medieval piscinas, a C15 octagonal font, a Royal Coat of Arms with Queen Anne device but later lettering GIII 1791, and a hatchment. Old photographs show that the restoration of 1896 included drastic changes, with the removal of Georgian fittings and a west gallery.

Listing NGR: SU6447031967

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 64587 31968


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1339053 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 12:39:15.

End of official listing