This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1339423



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Test Valley

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Nether Wallop

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 29-May-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 140270

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



11/21 CHURCH OF ST ANDREW 29.5.57 GV I

Parish church. C11 core to C12 nave and chancel, given aisles C13 and C14, tower and aisles rebuilt C18, chancel rebuilt C19. Rubble flint and stone with stone dressings, brick rebuilds, lead and old plaintile roof. C11 church chancel now E bay of nave and several bays of nave, rebuilt C12 when chancel became sanctuary with bay to W becoming chancel and nave built to present length. Circa 1200 S chapel added to sanctuary and S aisle to nave, then later C13 N aisle added to nave and chancel. Probably around this time chancel bay added to E end with sanctuary becoming part of it and C12 chancel arch removed, being reused for tower arch. In C14 S aisle rebuilt and joined to S chapel and N chapel built, tower rebuilt after collapse 1704, chancel rebuilt enlarged, with oldest part becoming choir, in 1845. Chancel has 3-light Perp E window, short corner buttresses and kneelered gable. On sides 2-light Perp windows. E nave bay has tiled roof like chancel, rest of nave has slightly taller clevestory with to each side 3 C14 2-light square headed trefoiled windows. S aisle has C15 pointed 3-light window with traceried head. Diagonal SE buttress. Lower wall rebuilt in brick. 4 C15 squareheaded 2-light trefoiled windows. Between W windows C19 gabled porch with double doors. Diagonal SW buttress and C15 3-light window with quatrefoil in head. N aisle has C15 3-light E window with traceried head and diagonal NE buttress. Most of wall rebuilt C18 in brick with reset C14 3-light trefoiled window at E, 3 stepped brick buttresses and between 3 tall squareheaded C15 trefoiled windows. Towards W C19 rendered gabled porch with double doors and iron gates and inside, reset in aisle, C12 round-headed doorway with continuous keel on inner order, later chamfer to outer order, across both imposts,below cushion capital on jamb shafts with moulded base. C16 3 plank door in C18 frame. C15 3-light W window. Large plan tower with diagonal W buttresses and W 2-light Perp window with tablet above dating rebuild. To N C18 planked door. Louvred bell opening on each face, low parapet with raised corners with weathervanes. Inside chancel 'High Victorian', on floor slabs, John Miller 1667, Rev William Dowling Clarke 1680, Ester Powlett 1697, Hester Miller 1706, and Thomas Gatehouse 1749. C19 chancel arch copy of choir arch, which is pointed of 2 orders, outer chamfered, plain inner on impost on scal- loped capitals with round shaft. Pointed arches to N & S of choir Cl9 memorials, ceiling inserted. Nave has arcades of 4 bays, with between 1st and 2nd bays small break of wall where chancel arch was. To S arches on round columns, with 3 W having Cl2 scalloped capitals and roll label, other plainer like C13 N arcade. Above on E wall remains of C11 wall painting of flying angels support- ing mandorla containing Christ, on S wall C14 painting of Sabbath breakers and on W wall C16/7 painting of bell. Floor slab with brass 1436 to Prioress Maria Gore and at W under Cl9 font slab Moses Saunders. Tower arch C14 2 orders inner on reused C12 scalloped capitals on round shaft, inside reused C15 timber screen and C18 benefactor boards. N aisle has remains of rood stair in NE, E window has C15 image niches inside rear arch. Memorial 1664 to Sir Francis Gosling. Floor slabs large C15 without its brass, Dorothy Douce 1698. Thomas Douce 1732 and to Cleverly family early C18. Pews in both aisles are C17. Roofs of nave and aisles C15 moulded arched brace roofs with cambered ties, wallplates embattled. Bells dated 1585, 2 of 1642, 1702 and 1770. VCH; 1908, Vol 3; p528-30. Pevsner Hampshire; 1966; p343-4.

Listing NGR: SU3035136471

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1908), 528-530
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 343-344

National Grid Reference: SU 30396 36398


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1339423 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 05:51:02.

End of official listing