TODDINGTON MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1340101
Date first listed:
04-Jul-1960
Statutory Address:
TODDINGTON MANOR

Map

Ordnance survey map of TODDINGTON MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1340101 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 17:15:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
TODDINGTON MANOR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Tewkesbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Toddington
National Grid Reference:
SP 03633 33325

Details

TODDINGTON - SP 03 SW 3/157 Toddington Manor 4.7.60 GV I Large country house. 1819-'35 by and for C. Hanbury-Tracy; some later alterations. Ashlar masonry: roofing material not clear. Three quadrangles linked diagonally, house proper round 3 sides of one, with cloister inside, 2 and 2 1/2 storeys; remaining quadrangles kitchen and stabling, single storey. Facade facing church: moulded plinth throughout. On left, 2-storey canted bay, flanked by octagonal turrets with blind arcading, 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery and flat head to each floor, blind quatrefoils below, moulded string above. Blind arcading to crenellated parapet over, turrets carried up to end in crocketed finials. To left, side of semi-octagonal bay, blind tracery on first part, single-light window on angle with blind tracery below to both floors, crenellated parapet as canted bay. To right of canted bay five 2-light windows with arched heads and hoodmoulds. Moulded string course, five 2-light mullion and transom windows, flat heads, Perpendicular tracery to upper lights, hoodmoulds. Moulded string course, crenellated parapet in 4 bays, with gabled pinnacles between each. To right canted bay with octagonal turrets as on left. Slightly set back beyond paired arched openings, 2- light reticulated tracery on left, boarded door on right with similar tracery over as fanlight. Blind tracery and moulded string above, lancet window with hoodmould either side of statue in niche, projecting head over. Blind arcading, string courses, crenellated parapet. Chapel wing projecting to right, square-set corner buttresses, blind arcading to face, gabled offsets: blind arcading to ground floor, with 2-light window, ogee head and hoodmould, moulded string, 6-light window with 2 king mullions, hoodmould. Openwork crenellations above string follow slope of roof, corner and centre crocketed finials. Single-storey kitchen wing to right. Set back, partly to left of right canted bay, square tower with corner pinnacles. A very important Gothic-revival building, detailing largely derived from Perpendicular work at Oxford: thought to have influenced design of Highclere and the Houses of Parliament. Interior not accessible, nor close access possible to exterior. For interior and entrance front see C. Hussey. Forms group with terrace walls and church (q.v.). (J. Britton, Graphic Description of Toddington, 1840; C. Hussey, English Country Houses -late Georgian, 1800-1840, 1958; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Vale and The Forest of Dean, 1970)

Listing NGR: SP0364233292

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
134943
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Britton, J, Graphic Description of Toddington, (1840)
Hussey, C, English Country Houses Late Georgian 1800 to 1840, (1958)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 16 Gloucestershire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/05974/36
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adam R. Stanford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].