Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1340103.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 12:41:16.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Tewkesbury (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 90150 19231



4/5 Church of the Holy Trinity



Anglican parish church. Early C14, probably with earlier origins, Perpendicular, some rebuilding and restoration mid 1860s by Messrs. Middleton of Cheltenham. Nave and porch: coursed squared and dressed limestone. Chancel and vestry: random coursed squared and dressed limestone. North aisle randomly coursed ashlar. Tower: ashlar. stone.-slate roofs. Nave with north aisle/chapel and projecting south porch; chancel with vestry on the south; west tower. Nave south wall with buttresses with offsets: tall pointed window with hollow-chamfered mullion and ogee-curved trefoil-headed lights to each light quatrefoil. The porch conceals a C19 plank door with a shallow moulded pointed surround. Early C14 north aisle with plinth with concave upper moulding to the west of the door, unusual additional projecting moulding to plinth east of the door lit by three 2-light pointed windows with cinquefoil-headed lights with triangular cusped lights at the top; moulded mullions and surrounds with ballflower ornament; moulded hoods with ballflower ornament and carved head stops; engaged finials at the apex of each hood. C19 pointed plank door with decorative hinges within an almost round-headed surround with a small ogee curve at its apex; deeply moulded surround decorated with ballflower ornament and with carved head stops; carved head stop at the apex of the hood. Monument towards the west end to Thomas Lawrence, died 1767; limestone with red sandstone triangular pediment. The west window of the north aisle matches that lighting the north wall; 3-light Perpendicular east window. Three stage tower with diagonal buttresses and Perpendicular upper stages; double C19 studded plank door within a flat-chamfered 4-centred arched surround with carved spandrels and plain heraldic shields; stoup with ogee-curved head to the right of the door. Two-light belfry windows with stone louvres. Battlemented parapet with trefoil- headed blind panelling, string and gargoyles. C19 chancel with angle and side buttresses; 3-light east window; pointed single- light and 2-light windows in the side walls. Monument with a segmental-headed pediment and an illegible inscription on the south side. Vestry on the south side with two triangular cusped lights facing south; base for two circular chimney shafts, one remaining, at the eaves. Gabled projecting porch, probably rebuilt C19, with double C19 plank doors with foliate hinges flanked by red sandstone shafts with foliate capitals from which springs a moulded archway; hood with carved head stops; small window above. with a flat- chamfered surround the upper part is probably reused from an image niche and has miniature engaged finials. C19 roof within porch; flagged floor; two medieval oak chests with iron binding strips. Interior: nave and chancel scraped; interior of chancel ashlar. Three-bay nave arcade with octagonal piers with moulded capitals and double-chamfered arch. Flagged floor. Three-bay C14 wagon roof with moulded intersecting beams with decorative bosses; the panels of the easternmost bay are further subdivided into quarters by intersecting beams also with bosses; braced tie beams rising from angel corbels with shields. Similar but less heavily built 3- bay C14 wagon roof to the south aisle with decorative bosses and similar angel corbels from which rise small engaged columns. Pointed chancel arch with double-chamfered arch and now partially blocked with a screen, added 1917; trefoil-headed image niche to the right; trefoil-headed piscina in the south wall nearby. Perpendicular tower arch. Segmental-headed inner archwith a hollow-moulded surround decorated with large ball flowers to the north door; engaged hollow-moulded columns with bases and ball flower ornament to the windows of the north aisle. Plank door-to the former rood loft high up in the wall at the east end of the north aisle; ogee-curved cinquefoil-headed .niche set in the respond of the nave arcade nearby. Pointed plank door with moulded C19 surround decorated with ball flower and 4-petal flowers in the south wall of the nave. Vestry not accessible. Wide triangular- headed opening with large angel corbels supporting an inner archway the whole being blocked by a part-glazed partition. Plain C19 octagonal stone font at the west end of the north aisle. C19 pews and choir stalls with blind tracery at the ends; two C18 benches with arm rests, fielded panels and turned legs and railings. C20 organ at the base of the tower. C19 carved hexagonal pulpit brought from Bagpath in 1976; C19 brass communion rails; C20 altar table. Fine C18 chest with ornate stained decoration depicting hunting scenes in the north aisle; square stone sundial on window sill above with an inscription 'John Stanby his Gift 1645'. Wooden commandment board at the east end of the north aisle/chapel inscription 'God save the Queen 1591. James Elbrige. William Bub' in inlaid lettering. Monuments: part of a medieval ledger with an incised cross used as a step to the south doorway; Baroque monument, formerly highlighted in gold and black, to William Hynson died 1667 and Elizabeth his wife, died 1670 with barley-twist columns either side of the inscription panel, painted heraldic shield; swan-necked pediment with cherubs above. White and grey sarcophagus-shaped monument to the right of the tower arch to George Gough, died 1756 with urn and painted cartouche above. Monument to Sara Gwinnett, died 1717 with an oval inscription panel surrounded by roses and bell flowers, bust, two cherubs and a pointed heraldic shield at the top. To north aisle/chapel: marble monument to Lyttleton Lawrence, died 1740 with pediment and urn on the north wall of the north aisle/chapel; six simple C19 marble monuments on the walls; C17, C18 and C19 ledgers in the floor. Some medieval stained glass within the tracery of the windows of the north aisle and the west window of the nave. Cl9 stained glass west window and in the chancel. The church acted as a cell of the priory of Usk which was founded by the de Clares. The decoration of the north aisle/chapel has analogies with that of the south aisle of Gloucester Cathedral. (David Verey, The Buildings of England: The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1980)

Listing NGR: SO9015119234


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00440/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Cooper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].