CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1340161
Date first listed:
04-Jul-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1340161 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 01:36:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Tewkesbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Teddington
National Grid Reference:
SO 96433 32964

Details

SO 93 SE TEDDINGTON TEDDINGTON VILLAGE

5/187 Church of St Nicholas

4.7.60

GV I

Anglican parish church. C12, C13, C14 and C18. Nave north wall and chancel: random roughly squared limestone. Nave south wall: coursed squared and dressed limestone. Tower: ashlar. Nave and projecting north porch, chancel and west tower. Nave north wall: single C13 trefoil-headed lancet to left of a projecting C14 porch which conceals an early plank door with fillets within a moulded pointed-arched surround of c1200 with carved head and animal head stop. Early plank door within a pointed-arched surround to the porch, stone bench seats. Stepped continuous string to the right of the porch. Buttressed south wall with one 2-light and one 3- light stone-mullioned casement with Tudor-arched heads, enriched spandrels, one dated 1624, and stopped hoods. Chancel with diagonal and end buttresses. Some reused stone with roll mouldings and cable moulding and two 2-light stone-mullioned casements to the south wall; two similar windows and a plank door within a moulded three-centred arched surround. Three-light Decorated east window with restored mullions. Three-storey tower, dated 1567, with diagonal buttresses. Fine Early English 2-light west window with cinquefoil-headed lights and richly moulded cusped circle; 2-light belfry windows with stone louvres within casement moulded surrounds. Battlemented parapet formerly with corner pinnacles and eroded corner grotesques. Flat gable-end coping. Nave walls plastered; chancel scraped: nave with early facetted roof, with tie-beams, one cambered with raking struts; early facetted roof to chancel; flagged floor. Cll chancel arch with imposts; reused stonework either side of arch with cable and diaper mouldings. Niche in north wall of nave. C20 bowl font on a C14 base decorated with ball flower and engaged columns, opposite the north door. Restored late C15 pews; two pew ends with linenfold panelling. Carved stone king's head on sill of chancel window. C17 turned communion rails with knobs. C20 communion table. Panelled octagonal pulpit with sounding board and inscription 'Michael/ /Tyller/William/Awoode/Church/ Wardens/16/55', two cherubs' heads above; rosette decoration and pendants to sounding board. Restored C17 reading desk with inscription 'Quench not ye spirit/Despise not phrophecy'. Wall paintings on wall of nave the most conspicuous of which is a large royal arms of William and Mary, 1689, enclosed with draped architectural features. Traces of the Lord's Prayer and Creed in C16 on lettering on the north wall. Fragments of C15 glass decorated with flowers in a north window of the chancel. No monuments. (David Verey, The Buildings of England: The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1980)

Listing NGR: SO9643432966

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
135282
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D, The Buildings of England: The Vale and the Forest of Dean, (1980)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/05974/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adam R. Stanford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].