Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1340301 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 13:07:05.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Tewkesbury (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 81850 25186


ASHLEWORTH QUAY LANE SO 8025-8125 7/19 Church of St. Andrew & St. Bartholomew 10-1-55 (formerly listed as in Ashleworth Quay) GV I Parish Church. C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, 1869 restoration and north transept by T. Fulljames for Rev. Attwood. Tower thin coursed stone to lower part, coursed squared stone top, both ashlar dressings: ashlar parapet and spire; nave squarish stone, porch approaching ashlar; transept and vestry roughly squared, coursed stone, ashlar dressings. Chancel random rubble, squared dressings; aisle coursed squared blue lias, ashlar dressings. Stone slate roof, artificial stone slate to valley. Nave, chancel, south aisle, north transept, porch and vestry, western tower. Four-stage tower; west face plinth, angled corner buttresses, 2-light window with C19 Decorated tracery, hoodmould: lancet with ogee trefoil head above: moulded string. Lancet above, second moulded string, tower windows slightly above, 2-light window, Perpendicular tracery, 4-centre arch, wooden louvres. Battlemented parapet with 2 gargoyles from string course below. Octagonal spire with roll to arrises, 4 lucarnes in 2 levels, counter changed: stone finial, iron spike. North face of tower, buttress on left square set, lowest 2 stages plain, as west face above. Nave, low plinth, wall later raised: semi-circular headed doorway, blocked, later C19 tracery inserted. Porch to left, plinth, angle buttresses to corners, moulded archway, 4-centred arch, plain spandrels, hoodmould: parapet gable, cross gablet apex. Semi-circular head to windows in returns. Transept on left, plinth, angled buttresses, 2-light Geometric tracery window with hoodmould in gable, parapet gable, cross-gablet apex. Three-light Perpendicular tracery window reset in left return: flat head. Old vestry set back on left, flat roof, moulded parapet: 2-light window, 3 trefoils and ballflower over in parapet: similar on left return over doorway with shouldered arch. Three stepped lancets over vestry in chancel wall; lancet to left of vestry. Parapet gable to chancel, cross gablet apex, iron cross. East end, 3-light window to chancel, Decorated tracery of C19, hoodmould. Aisle diagonally-set corner buttress, 3-light window, C19 Perpendicular tracery, parapet gable, floriate cross on apex. South side, four 2-light windows, flat heads, varied tracery: boarded priest's door to left of first, keel moulding to surround, stone step, hoodmould. Quoins for earlier east end to left of door. Parapet gable left end, cross-gablet apex. Boarded door, hinges as for porch on left return, 4-centred archway; tower as on north side, but boarded door in second stage approached by iron ladder. Interior: No ridge piece in any medieval roof. Porch, stone bench each side, C16 boarded door, original hinges, angle-strut truss each end, one pair purlins, curved windbraces. Nave, unplastered; north wall herringbone masonry, semi-circular arch to earlier opening a little above north door head. Wide arch to transept on corbelled columns with hoodmould; plain arch to chancel, squint to right, reopened late C19. Four-bay south arcade, octagonal pillars, plain bases and capitals, straight-sided arches, rounded at foot. Collar rafter roof, straight braces, 2 heavy tie beams with crown posts but no collar rafter. Chancel plastered: lancets in C19 recess on left: wide arch to south side, trefoil-headed piscina, square aumbry: arch-braced collar rafter roof, but braces removed on south side when chancel widened on building of south aisle, C15. South chancel aisle unplastered, ogee-headed piscina, 2 ballflower, oak-leaf carving beneath: base of stairs to rood screen. Wooden C15 rood screen reset in south side, partly C19 restoration: 6 lights each side central doorway, brackets carry boarded platform over. Arch-braced collar rafter roof with moulded collar rafter and wallplates to whole aisle: area to front of screen boarded, with ribs. Pulpit said to contain reused carved c1635 panels, but appears to be all 1894 (for Rev R Marchant). Two medieval chests. Octagonal stone C19 font, quatrefoils on bowl, blind panelling stem: pews C19, linenfold panelling to ends. Royal arms Elizabeth I in south aisle, a very early survival. Late C18 benefactions board under tower, 1615 brass in transept, Creed and Decalogue on unequal metal plates at west end nave. A little medieval glass in south chancel aisle window: east window by A. Gibbs, 1865, east aisle window 1874, commemorates T. Fulljames. Nine brass hanging lamps, glass globe and flue for oil, converted to electricity. Top of spire rebuilt late C19. (Kelly's Gloucestershire, 1879; 1901 faculty at C.R.O; notes in church; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970)

Listing NGR: SO8185525190


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)
'Kellys Directory' in Gloucestershire, (1879)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16881/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Harnwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].