MARKET HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1340484

Date first listed: 28-Jun-1960

Statutory Address: MARKET HOUSE, MARKET SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MARKET HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1340484 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jan-2019 at 11:04:13.

Location

Statutory Address: MARKET HOUSE, MARKET SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud (District Authority)

Parish: Minchinhampton

National Grid Reference: SO 87256 00749

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 8600-8700 MINCHINHAMPTON MARKET SQSUARE, Minchinhampton Town (south side)

19/280 Market House 28.6.60

GV II*

Market house. Dated 1698; restored 1944. Coursed and squared limestone; ashlar chimney; stone slate roof. Large open sided market area, 8 x 2 bays; large meeting room above. Two open round arches to north east gable end with keystones and imposts. Circular piers with heavy caps and bases to long sides, many replaced by square piers. Timber cross-windows to upper floor with leaded casements, some blocked including those to north east end. Band above arcade and deep plastered coving are taken across gable ends; 2 small attic casements above at north east end and small gable-mounted chimney with plain cap. Attached stone steps to rear of building supported on arched base. North east end has datestone and panel of charges made by Lord of the Manor. Interior: open market area has moulded cross-beams with row of bulbous baluster-shaped timber piers at centre. Later enclosed area at south west end incorporates war memorial inscription. Market house built by Philip Sheppard, Lord of the Manor, in 1698, intended for sale of wool and yarn. Became one of the 4 chief wool-markets of the county in 1702. Scheduled Ancient Monument No 255. (N.M. Herbert, 'Minchinhampton' in V.C.H. Glos. xi, 1976, pp 184- 207; and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)

Listing NGR: SO8725600749

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 133072

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1976), 184-207
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

End of official listing