CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1340597
Date first listed:
10-Jan-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN, STROUD ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1340597.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 05:06:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN, STROUD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Stroud (District Authority)
Parish:
Brookthorpe-with-Whaddon
National Grid Reference:
SO 83506 12266

Details

SO 81 SW BROOKTHORPE-with- STROUD ROAD WHADDON (west side), Brookthorpe

5/6 Church of St. Swithin 10.1.55

GV II*

Parish church. C13; north aisle added in 1892 restoration. Random rubble limestone and ashlar; stone slate roof. Nave with north aisle; west tower, south porch, north vestry and chancel. Moulded pointed-arched central south doorway with C19 plank door; pointed and slightly shouldered archway in parapet gabled porch with offset diagonal buttresses and C19 restored trefoil-headed side windows; C19 timber porch gates. Single 2-light C15 nave window either side of south doorway, each with cinquefoil-headed lights, small quatrefoil, and hoodmould, both restored; chamfered plinth stops short of west end. North nave wall has gabled buttress at east end with restored cinquefoil-headed lancet to right; right of this buttressed north aisle with lean-to roof; 2 triplet windows with relieving arch over each in north facing gable; cinquefoiled head to east-facing aisle lancet and Cl9 chimney at junction with nave; vestry continuous with aisle at west end with reused west facing pointed-arched doorway. Parapet east nave gable, and parapet gabled east chancel wall with small Early English lancet; narrow pointed arched priest's doorway with plank door in south chancel wall; ogee-headed C14 lancet to left and 2-light to right in square-headed opening; 2-light Early English in north wall. Tower of 2 stages with parapet gabled saddleback roof; C19 restored west lancet; ogee-headed belfry openings except south-facing which has shouldered arch; all with stone louvres; below belfry openings a narrow slit. Interior has been scraped, but partly replastered; 2-bay Cl9 pointed arched arcade to north aisle with central circular pier having undercut moulded capital; stiff leaf carved labels to arcade hoodmould; pointed tower arch; rood loft stairs to north of chancel arch have round-headed narrow doorways; 3-bay C19 tie-beam truss nave roof, each supported off restored stone corbels and having cusped strutting; very thick cusped windbraces; Early English chancel arch, with small pointed recess to south. Chancel has Cl9 raised floor with altar step; limewashed walls, C19 arcaded reredos, and C19 restored piscina in north wall; C19 wagon roof. C18 hexagonal fielded-panelled timber pulpit; carving around north nave window by Eric Gill is memorial to Detmar Blow, died 1939; C17 chalice-shaped octagonal stone font; Baroque wall memorial in tower to George Venn, died 1694; some late C18 and Cl9 marble memorials. C19 stained glass to some windows. On wall plate of south porch a carved chronogram commemorating the death of Charles I. Forms part of tight visual group with Brookthorpe Court, (q.v.) and Old Vicarage, (q.v.) (D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1976.)

Listing NGR: SO8350612266

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
131663
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00406/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jack Farley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].