CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, OFF THE MARKET PLACE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1340797.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 07:07:23.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, OFF THE MARKET PLACE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cotswold (District Authority)
- Northleach with Eastington
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 11190 14566
NORTHLEACH WITH OFF THE MARKET PLACE
EASTINGTON (west side), Northleach
Church of St. Peter and St. Paul
Anglican parish church. C12, C14, rebuilt in Perpendicular style C15, largely at the expense of the wool merchant John Fortey. Restored by James Brooks 1877-84, further restoration 1961. Plan; chancel with chapels on north and south. Vestry on north. Nave with north and south aisle, large projecting south porch towards west end of south aisle. Tower at west end. Ashlar, stone slate and lead roofing. Chancel, basic structure c1350; diagonal buttresses, moulded plinth, 5-light east window with Perpendicular tracery. Image niche above window. Two 4-light windows with Perpendicular tracery within casement-moulded Tudor-arched surrounds mouldings. Three-light window with Perpendicular tracery within pointed surround on north. Flat-roofed C19 vestry on north with 3-light window with cinquefoil-headed lights within rectangular casement-moulded surround on west. Pointed 2-light window within casement-moulded surround on north. Clerestory to nave built by John Fortey c1445-1455. Five large Tudor-arched lights with Perpendicular tracery along sides. Nine-light window at east gable. Battlemented parapets with crocketed finials. Image niche pinnacle at centre of east gable end. North aisle rebuilt c1450. Moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses at corners. Buttresses with offsets between windows. Four 4-light cinquefoil- headed lights with Perpendcular tracery. Hoods over windows with carved human and beasts' head stops. Studded double north door with fillets within heavily moulded Tudor-arched surround with hollow-moulded hood with stops in the form of Kings' heads. Three- light windows at east and west ends of aisle. Window at west end with simple Perpendicular tracery. Battlemented parapet with grotesques from string. Tower; c1400. Four diminishing stages with diagonal buttresses extending up to parapet level. Buttresses contain image niches with crocketed canopies. C20 double door with studded fillets set back within deep moulded surround at west end. Ornamental buttresses decorated with heraldic shields and engaged crocketed pinnacles either side. Blind tracery above door. Single lights with trefoil-headed and cinquefoil-headed lights with crocketed canopies to second and third stages. Wrought-iron clock on south side of third stage. Four ogee-curved crocketed surrounds to openings up to fourth stage. Central openings with stone louvres. Flanking blind openings with image brackets. Projecting grotesques between openings. Hollow-moulded strings decorated with grotesque heads between stages. Panelled and pierced battlements. String below with projecting gargoyles and carved heads. South aisle; built 1460-1480 at same time as porch. West end of south aisle overlaps tower. Bay left of south porch; with diagonal buttress with square crocketed pinnacle. Pointed 5-light window with Perpendicular tracery and hood with head stops at west end. Four-light window with transom and Perpendicular-tracery with finely carved cusping, small quatrefoils and hood with head stops to south facing bay. Two bays right of porch with windows matching bay left of porch. Eroded C17-early C18 monument right of porch. Similar Perpendicular windows to Bicknell or Lady Chapel right, but without transom. Parapet with crocketed pinnacles. Projecting 2- storey porch with diagonal buttresses with offsets. Image niches with crocketed canopies set within buttresses. Stair turret capped by an elegant crocketed fleche at north-west corner. Double cast iron gates within casement-moulded pointed surround. Crocketed ogee-curved hood with stops in the form of a man's and a woman's head. Seated statue of Our Lady, under projecting cusped canopy above. Two cinquefoil-headed panels with pointed crocketed hoods and engaged crocketed pinnacles, either side of statue. Panels immediately right and left of statue lit by single lights with wooden slats, outer panels formerly acted as image niches. Further seated figure under projecting elaborate crocketed canopy at centre above. Parapet with hollow-moulded string decorated with finely carved bosses and angels. Crocketed bell turret at apex of gable. Crocketed pinnacles. Plain parapet with crocketed bell turret and pinnacles. Single light, trefoil-headed and cinquefoil-headed lights in right and left-hand returns. Porch interior; 2 bays of vaulting rising from engaged columns with carved capitals, with tiercerons and sculptured bosses and blind tracery. Panelled walls with image brackets supported by sculptured corbels. Stone seats alongside walls. Flag floor including some C18 ledges. Double C20 door with blind tracery and decorative wrought mid C20 iron decoration in form of roses with initials 'E R'. Moulded surround with hood with large head stops. Image niche above with canopy. The upper room of the porch contains a fireplace with bread oven at back and projecting stone lintel, supported on flat-chamfered stone corbels. Stone candle brackets either side. Graffitti and scratched rosettes around walls. Early studded plank door within 4-centred arched surround. Church interior; 5-bay nave arcade with remarkable concave-sided octagonal piers and capitals rising up to form 4-centred arches. Name 'HENRIE WINCHOMBE' incised on easternmost pier on south, possibly that of the master mason. Almost identical arcades at Chipping Campden and similar ones at Winchombe. Tall tower arch of 3 orders the inner two of which have engaged columns with moulded capitals. Double-chamfered pointed chancel arch, and from chancel to north-east chapel two pointed arches forming arcade with central octagonal pier dividing chancel from Bicknell or Lady Chapel. Wall dividing south aisle from Lady Chapel thought to contain C12 masonry. Triangular-headed archway through wall to Lady Chapel. Double squint from Lady Chapel to chancel. C20 plank door within C14 cusped doorway from chancel to vestry. Early plank door to first floor of porch within pointed roll-moulded and casement- moulded surround with moulded hood and head stops. Plank door within pointed surround from south-west corner of north aisle to tower. Lierne vaulted roof with central bell-rope hole at base of tower. C15 five-bay roof to nave comprising braced moulded tie beam supported by wall posts in moulded stone corbels. C15 lean-to roof to north aisle with intersecting moulded beams with gilded bosses. Wall posts supported on corbels with carved faces. Similar lean-to roof to south aisle. Decorative carving to spandrels of brackets linking wall posts to principal rafter. C20 painted 4½-bay arch-braced roof to chancel. C20 two-bay roof to Lady Chapel, and north-east chapel with carved stone corbels designed to match that of nave and north-east chapel . One corbel in the Lady Chapel bears the date 1489 in arabic numerals (possibly indicating the date of the building of the Lady Chapel). Two-bay C15 roof with carved stone corbels to north-east chapel. Furniture and fittings; fine C15 goblet-shaped octagonal stone pulpit with fluted stem and enriched crocketed pinnacles attached to the easternmost column of the north nave arcade. Late C14 font at west end of south aisle with octagonal bowl with carved heads supported by angels playing musical instruments, below the pedestal, demons defeated by baptism. Mutilated remains of reredos with canopied niches, retaining traces of colour at east end of south aisle. C15 pillar piscina and aumbry in south wall. Traces of two image brackets over arch to Lady Chapel. C15 canopied sedilia in south wall of chancel. Upperpart of two croziers depicted in relief high in south and north walls of chancel. Altar; pre-Reformation stone mensa slab, c2m long (excavated from floor of chancel in 1884) on a wooden table, riddel posts c1930 by F.E. Howard. Vestry contains an undisturbed stone altar, suggesting this may represent the truncated remains of a chapel. Seating designed by Sir Basil Spence. Former choir stalls by James Brook survive in north aisle. Monuments and brasses; marble monument to the Rev Joseph Askew, former headmaster and chaplain of The Union Workhouse, died 1855, on south wall of south aisle. Framed fragments of vestments some C16, on wall below. Five C19 marble monuments in north aisle. Unusually fine collection of 10 brasses associated with leading woolmen of the town dating from c1400 to 1628. Brasses include an acrostic poem on the wall in the south-east corner of the Lady Chapel in which each line begins with the letters of the names Mawd Parker Thomas. Mawd Thomas died 1584, Thomas Parker died 1628. Brass in memory of John Fortey, who instigated most of the reconstruction of the church during C15, died 1458, moved to its present position under the second bay of the north arcade in 1961. Six wreathed medallions round the border contain the initials 'J.F.' and his trade mark. His feet rest on a woolpack, with an inscription in Latin below. The remaining brasses are of similar quality depicting woolmen, their wives and children and including the symbols of their trade and illustrating the wealth of the town during the C15 and C16 centuries. On the east wall of the north- east chapel is the stone setting for a brass from which the figures has been lost. Glass; fragments of C15 stained glass in windows of north and south aisles. C19 stained glass at west end of south aisle. Chancel east window 1963 by Christopher Webb. Described by D. Verey as 'one of the most dynamic examples of Perpendicular architecture in the Cotswolds if not anywhere'. (Cotswold Churches, 1976; The Buildings of England: The Cotswolds, 1979; J. Harvey, The Perpendicular Style; J. Harvey, 1978 Northleach Brasses, W.C. Fallows)
Listing NGR: SP1118914566
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Harvey, J, The Perpendicular Style, (1978)
Verey, D, Cotswold Churches, (1976)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing