CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, UPPER SEVENHAMPTON
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1341334.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 02-Jun-2020 at 20:02:16.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, UPPER SEVENHAMPTON
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cotswold (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 03267 21732
SP 02 SW SEVENHAMPTON UPPER SEVENHAMPTON
2/83 Church of St. Andrew 26.1.61 I
Anglican parish church. C12. Early English, altered and enlarged under the Will of John Camber, a wool merchant of Worcester - died 1497 - in Perpendicular style, restored 1891 by Waller. South and east walls of chancel limestone rubble. North wall; coursed squared and dressed limestone. Nave north wall; limestone rubble, west end coursed squared limestone, south wall coursed squared and dressed limestone. Stone slate roof. Nave with projecting south porch, south transept abutting right wall of porch, porch; crossing tower, north transept and chancel. South transept; 3 lancets in gable end. Perpendicular 2-light hollow-chamfered east window with carved spandrels in east wall. Stone gutter along west wall with gargoyle at gable end. Nave south wall (from left to right); small round-headed window with moulded surround, carved spandrels and stopped hood. Flat-chamfered round-headed priest's doorway with C19-C20 plank door with strap hinges. Lancet with stepped reveal right. Two-light Decorated window with stopped hood towards east end. Perpendicular 3-light window with cinquefoil- headed lights and 2 vesicas at east end. Positions of lancets and Decorated windows repeated on north wall, suggesting the lengthening of the chancel in C14. North transept; diagonal buttresses, Perpendicular 2-light hollow-chamfered east window. Perpendicular 2-light north window with cinquefoil-headed lights, tracery and dagger at apex, stopped hood. Stones forming jambs numbered in Roman numerals. North wall of nave (from left to right); Cl9 two-light stone-mullioned window with cinquefoil- headed lights within rectangular surround inserted in former north doorway, copying similar window in south wall. Blocked trefoil- headed window right. C12 pilaster buttresses at west end, central buttress interrupted by hollow-moulded 2-light window with cinquefoil-headed lights. Nave south wall, 2-light stone-mullioned window with cinquefoil-headed lights and stopped hood. Tower; 3 stage. Perpendicular tower with octagonal stair turret at south- east corner. Two-light windows on each side of second stage. Similar belfry windows with stone louvres on each side of belfry stage. Strings between stages. Battlemented parapet. Porch dating from Perpendicular enlargement with tall 'Tudor'-arched entrance with pierced quatrefoils in spandrels and hood with carved rose stops. Stone bench seats within porch. Red tile floor. C19 plank door with flat stone lintel, band of C12 chevron decoration above. Remains of stoup with ogee-arched head right of door. Parapets with strings below to north and south transepts. Slightly stepped gable end coping to chancel with ornate C19 cross finial. Interior; Flat-chamfered pointed arches on each side of crossing. South-west and north-west corners of tower supported inside within crossing by flying buttresses from the west walls of the transepts. Lierne vault with angel corbels at each corner and central circular bell opening. 3½-bay, late C15 nave roof with 7-facetted trusses and moulded tie beams. Three-bay chancel roof with arched-braced trusses with over sanctuary and brattished wallplate. Remains of stoup in south wall left of door. Narrow pointed doorway with flat-chamfered surround from south transept to tower. Early English arcade inside east window (see description of exterior). Passage squint from south transept roofed with former mensa with 5 consecration crosses. Red tile floor sanctuary, some Decorative encaustic tiling in crossing, chancel and to nave, sanctuary. Fittings; octagonal limestone and marble font dated 1892 inside south door with angels on four sides. C19 screen across west end of nave. C17 font adjacent to south-west pier supporting tower. C19 pews and wooden pulpit on stone base at north-east corner of crossing. Monuments; chancel south wall; monument to John Hinksman, died 1828. Marble white sarcophagus on grey background. Brass to John Camber (see before), died 1497, set into later limestone plaque below. Wooden memorial to Anna, wife of Ioannis Avrigaris, inscription in gold lettering on black background within moulded frame highlighted in gold. Stone monument below to 'Guilielm Candelary of Senhampton', died 1652, and Eleanor his wife. North wall, (from left to right); shield-shaped brass plaque with inscription in Latin to John and Robert Lawrence, died 1658, verse in English below. Painted stone monument to Joseph Hinksman, died 1740, and other members of that family with segmental-headed top with foliate decoration. White marble monument to John Hinksman, died 1774, Margaret his wife, died 1819, and other members of their family. Three brass plaques above (from left to right) shield shaped plaque to Robert Lawrence, died 1688, with inscription in verse below. Rectangular plaque at centre to William Lawrence, son of Anthony Culpepper Lawn, died 1693. Shield-shaped plaque to Robert Lawrence, Lord of Sevenhampton Manor, died 1700. Monument to William Morris of Sevenhampton Court, died 1834. Monument to Walter Lawrence, died 1810, late of the manors of Sevenhampton and Brockhampton. South transept; white on black marble monument to Rev. John Craven, died 1804. Large grey marble monument to Sir William Dodwell of Sevenhampton, died 1727, and his wives. (q.v. Brockhampton Park regarding families recorded by monuments in chancel and north transept). Nave north wall; grey marble monument to Thomas Longford, died 1770, with details of benefaction of bread on similar plaque below. Royal coat of arms on south wall. Late C19 stained glass in east window and in lancets in south wall. Early C20 stained glass in east window of south transept and in north and east windows of north transept. (David Verey, The Buildings of England: The Cotswolds, 1979.)
Listing NGR: SP0326521733
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire The Cotswolds, (1979)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing