CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1341377
Date first listed:
26-Nov-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, DRIFFIELD VILLAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1341377 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 01:53:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, DRIFFIELD VILLAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Cotswold (District Authority)
Parish:
Driffield
National Grid Reference:
SU 07463 99767

Details

DRIFFIELD DRIFFIELD VILLAGE SU 09 NE (east side) 9/24 Church of St. Mary 26.11.58 GV II* Small Anglican church. Norman foundation, restored 1734, and in 1863 possibly by William Butterfield. Coursed rubble stone with quoins to east, on plinth on north side, stone slate roof with coped verges and cross saddlestones. Partially projecting west tower, nave and south porch, chancel. Tower of 3 stages without offsets or string courses (except for base), corbelled cornice and parapet. Single lancet to west on lower stages, twin louvred belfry openings around top stages. Restored porch with pointed archway and offset plinth with open traceried window on left side and niche inside on right. Flanking lancets in nave wall. Chancel south wall has single lancet and Decorated 2-light, stepped triple lancet to east end and blind north wall. Three single lancets in north wall of nave. Interior: braced collar beam roof to nave and chancel. Box pews in nave with Creed and Pater boards at west end. Series of marble wall monuments in chancel to Hanger family. "Reredos" surround to altar set with encaustic tiles. Stained glass by Alexander Gibbs. (David Verey, Buildin9s of England - Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979).

Listing NGR: SU0746399767

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
129319
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jun 2007
Reference: IOE01/16671/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Lorna Freeman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]England.org.uk.