CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1341450
Date first listed:
24-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1341450.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 20:08:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Little Berkhamsted
National Grid Reference:
TL 29210 07886

Details

LITTLE BERKHAMSTED CHURCH ROAD TL 20 NE (East side) Little Berkhamsted 7/85 Church of St. Andrew 24.11.66 GV II

Parish church. Mid C17 and earlier origins, N aisle added 1831, virtually rebuilt in 1857. Restored and S porch added in 1894 by S. Harris. Restored 1962. Probably flint and brick, all clad in Kentish ragstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Tiled roofs. Timber porch and bell turret with shingled spire. Gothic Revival Style. 3 bay nave with 2 bay N aisle, 2 bay chancel with N organ bay and vestry. Chancel E end: plinth, 3 light window with taller central light, trefoiled heads, relieving arch. Coped parapet with kneelers, 2 stage diagonal buttresses. To S a pointed moulded arched door surround with chamfered jambs, gabled hood mould. 2 light window inserted 1962. Boxed eaves. Nave is taller and slightly wider. Nave to S has two 2 light windows with plate tracery, trefoiled pointed heads, a buttress to E. Ashlar dressed base to timber porch with open segmental headed panels, shaped brackets, brattished bargeboards to gabled head. Pointed arched S entrance has C17 round headed double doors with moulded battens, empty shield at head. Nave W end: tall 3 light window, enlarged 1962, with Geometrical tracery, trefoil in pointed head. Diagonal 2 stage buttresses, coped parapet with kneelers. Gable flattened beneath weatherboarded bell turret, louvred triple lancet openings to N and S, clock to W, 5 upper quatrefoil openings to each side. Short splay- footed spire. Separate lower roof to N aisle with 2 plate traceried 2 light windows, quatrefoils in pointed heads, 2 stage diagonal buttresses, similar window to W, coped parapets with kneelers. Lower vestry to NE has a pointed arched entrance to N with a buttress and a lean-to outshut, E end triple lancet, taller to centre, hood mould. Interior: unusual double arcade to N aisle, moulded pointed arches with paired uncapped columns with moulded bases. Simple brattished tie beam roofs, ceiled. 2 timber posts to W tie beam support bell turret. Reset medieval piscina and double sedilia in chancel S wall. Depressed arch over C19 Gothic screen from N aisle to organ bay. Simple C19 Gothic screen from chancel to vestry. N aisle early C17 altar table with Tuscan column legs on a moulded H plan base with stretcher supporting double arcade with smaller Tuscan columns. Octagonal font, pews, choir stalls and pulpit all of 1894. Chancel floor tomb slabs to J. Pendred, d.1650, and wife, Cromwell Fleetwood, d.1688, E. Fleetwood, d.1653, N. Matthews and family, c.1670, G. Nevill, d.1679, and J. Edenborough, C18. C19 marble wall slabs in nave, one in S window embrasure to O. Lloyd, d.1736. Glass: Nave S, by Morris and Co. after designs by Burne-Jones, 1911, Figures of Hope and Faith, Chancel E, by A. Rosenkrantz, 1919. (RCHM 1910: VCH 1912: Pevsner 1977: G. Millington, Little Berkhamsted, 1981).

Listing NGR: TL2921007886

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
356192
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912)
Millington, G, Little Berkhamsted, (1981)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/02145/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Sam Klok. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].