CHURCH OF ST ANDREW AND ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW AND ST MARY, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1341464.pdf
This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 13:19:36.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW AND ST MARY, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TL 30241 18881
WATTON-AT-STONE CHURCH LANE
TL 31 NW
4/171 Church of St. Andrew
24.11.66 and St. Mary
Parish church. Early to mid C15 rebuilding of an earlier foundation. Later C15 N chapel. Thoroughly restored 1851 by G. Clarke at expense of Abel Smith of Woodhall Park (q.v.). Flint rubble, some knapped. Stone dressings. Tiled roofs. Wide 4 bay nave and 3 bay chancel. N and S aisles and porches. N chancel chapel. W tower. Perpendicular style. Chancel: E window of 3 lights with a 4 centred arched head, restored rectilinear tracery, mask stopped hood mould. Coped gable parapet with ridge finial. Buttress to E end of N chapel which has a C19 3 light window with rectilinear tracery and a lower coped gable parapet. Gargoyles over 2 stage angle buttresses. Chancel to S has 2 similar 3 light 4 centred arched windows with outer casement mouldings. Between these a C19 door in a shallow porch, cusped pointed arch, shafted jambs, ogee head elaborately crocketed and finialed, string course to embattled parapet. N chapel has 2 C19 3 light windows with segmental arched heads, rectilinear tracery, angle buttresses, string course to plain coped parapet. At angles of chancel and taller nave are stair turrets for access to former rood loft and to roofs, hexagonal to S with embattled parapet, octagonal to N with plain parapet. Nave clerestoreys have four 2 cinquefoiled light 4 centred arched windows each, string courses to embattled parapets. S aisle: 3 light window to E as on chancel, 2 stage angle buttresses to S where similar windows flank C19 porch, string course to embattled parapet with a base for a C19 stack over porch. Diagonal buttress to W end with a C19 2 light window. N aisle similar with an additional window. S porch has inner C15 pointed arch with double wave mouldings. Outer C19 four centred arch with shafted jambs, quatrefoils in spandrels to square hood mould. 2 light pointed arched windows in returns. Shallow gabled head, embattled parapet. N porch is 2 storeys. Double roll moulded outer pointed arch, inner arch with shafted jambs, Tudor flower ornament. Parvis chamber window of 3 cinquefoiled lights in a square head, shallow gabled head, embattled parapet. 2 stage diagonal buttresses. W return has a 2 light pointed arched C19 window. E return has taller semi-octagonal stair turret with slit windows, string course to parapet. W tower, 3 stages with taller hexagonal stair turret to SW. Chequerwork double plinth with 4 stage angle buttresses up to belfry, raking stone courses between stages. W entrance with an almost round arch, heavily moulded. Small door to stair turret with 4 centred arched head. Above W entrance a C19 3 light pointed arched window. Belfry has tall louvred 2 light openings with quatrefoils in pointed heads. Clocks to W and N. String course to embattled parapet with gargoyles on turret. Slit openings in turret and in 2nd stage to S and N. Interior: tall 2 centred tower arch of 3 orders, inner and outer wave mouldings dying into chamfers. Chancel arch is C19 with casement and wave mouldings, respond columns. 4 bay nave arcades have complex piers with clustered colonnettes to E and W with hollows between, moulded caps and bases, finer detail to S, 2 centred arches have a double wave with central hollow moulding, outer casement to wave moulding carried down to ground on piers. Inner faces of arches have labels with foliate stops. Triple arcade from chancel to N chapel is C19, pointed arches with clustered 3/4 columns, heavy mouldings. Similar single arch from N aisle to N chapel, now blocked by organ. Nave and chancel roofs are C19 moulded and arched braced. Aisle roofs are C15 lean-tos with moulded principals and purlins with carved bosses. 4 bay N chapel roof is probably early C17, 4 centred arched vault, plastered with moulded ribs, C19 elephant head corbels. In N aisle is a door to parvis chamber stairs. N aisle E end round headed recess, to SE a blocked squint to chancel with a floating cornice. Rood loft openings to N and S with door to S. S aisle E end piscina with cusped pointed arched head. Chancel S wall E end C15 piscina and triple sedilia, cusped pointed arched heads, raised and restored. In N chapel is a C15 or C16 oak chest with heavy iron bands, rounded head. Royal Arms of George III over N door. Arms of Bishop over Tower arch, dated 1851. C19 Gothic fittings include reredos, octagonal font, pulpit, lectern, choir stalls, communion rails with ironwork, chapel screen with iron gates, tower screen and seating. Several good brasses. N chapel: Sir P. Peletoot, d.1361, full length figure of knight in a cusped canopy. Sir J. Boteler, d.1514, smaller figure of a knight with 5 shields of arms, below a late C15 civilian in a fur lined coat, possibly the mason who built the church, also fragments to R. Boteler, d.1614, wife and daughter. Chancel: an almost lifesize figure of a priest, mid C15, perhaps J. Brigenhall. Nave: a lady of Boteler family, c.1550. S aisle: E. Bardolph, d.1455 and family, damaged. N aisle: late C15 pair of figures. Floor slabs. N chapel: Sir R. de Graveley, C14 border inscribed in Lombardic script. Sir J. Boteler, late C15, large alabaster slab with incised figures, arms and inverted inscription, various C18 slabs. N aisle: R. de Larabi, C14, border inscribed in Lombardic script. S aisle: Sir J. Gore, d.1697, and daughter, d.1725, marble with relief arms. Chancel has various C17 and C18 floor slabs. Wall monuments: N chapel known as Abel Smith chapel has many family monuments including that on W wall to S. Smith and wife, d.1834 and 1835, by Manning, sarcophagus against obelisk with arms, epitaph below. N wall, W. Rumbold, d.1786, probably by Bacon, marble epitaph, an urn wreathed with an oak garland on dark pointed arched ground. E wall, Sir T. Rumbold, d.1791, by Bacon, marble epitaph, tondo relief of mourning woman, flanking festooned urns in shallow relief. N aisle, D. Turner, d.1740, marble epitaph, simple aedicule with fluted pilasters. S aisle: J. Boteler, d.1774, large marble epitaph, aedicule with segmental pediment, panelled pilasters gadrooned at base, arms in cartouche, cherubs below with console supports. P. Boteler and wife, d.1712 and 1740, marble, 2 kneeling figures, he in contemporary dress, she in mourning, leaning on a pedestal, arms in cartouche above, epitaph below, all in a Gothic niche. C19 stained glass. E window has Nativity, Deposition and Resurrection. (RCHM 1910: VCH 1912: East Herts Archaeological Society Transactions, vol. 5, pt.2, 1913, p.174-90: Pevsner 1977).
Listing NGR: TL3024118881
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
'Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society' in Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society, , Vol. 5, (1913), 174-90
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)
End of official listing