CHURCH OF ST PETER
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCHFIELD ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1341477.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2021 at 03:07:36.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCHFIELD ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TL 26812 14256
TEWIN CHURCHFIELD ROAD
TL 21 SE
5/132 Church of St. Peter
Parish church. C11 origins. Chancel rebuilt or remodelled, S aisle and clerestorey added in C13. Altered, re-roofed and W tower added in C15. S porch added in C16. Restored 1864 by F. Smith. Refitted and vestry added 1903 by T.P. Atkinson. Flint rubble on brick plinth. Rendered with stone and some tile dressings. Tiled roof. 3 bay nave, lengthened chancel is slightly narrower and lower, S aisle, W tower, S porch, N vestry. Unbuttressed E end, restored C15 window, 3 cinquefoiled lights, casement moulding to Tudor arch, hood mould. Chancel to S: 2 C13 lancets, 1 with restored jambs the other chamfered, blocked C19 door, square headed C15 window of 2 cinquefoiled lights. 1903 vestry to N has catslide roof from chancel, door to E. Nave to N has 2 C15 square headed windows of 2 cinquefoiled lights, between these an C11 small round headed opening with deeply splayed embrasure, now blocked. Towards W end a C19 pointed arched door with a 2 light square headed window above formerly opening onto gallery. 2 stage buttress at E end of nave built into vestry, tile coped. S aisle had roof raised in C15 to become a continuous catslide from nave roof thereby blocking C13 clerestorey. S aisle has 2 C13 lancets. Tile quoining to W end which has a high C18 2 light window with a moulded mullioned timber frame. E end C15 square headed window of 2 cinquefoiled lights. S porch has exposed timber frame on rebuilt brick plinth. Gable end to S with blocked entrance, cambered tie beam, moulded bargeboards, 2 light ovolo moulded window to E. C19 entrance to W. Porch has crown post roof with 2 way braces to collar purlin, braces to tie beams. Inner S entrance is C14 2 centred moulded arch stopped on jambs, mask stopped hood mould. To E of arch an oval stoup recess. Low 2 stage W tower with lower stage as high as nave, short belfry. Set to N of nave centre so N wall almost aligns with nave wall. C19 double door with heavily moulded pointed arch to W. An early lancet above. Clock to N. 2 stage diagonal buttresses with tiled offsets to W. 2 stage buttress to NE. String course to belfry with 2 cinquefoiled lights in Tudor arched openings. Single square headed opening to N. Cornice to roughcast embattled parapet. Short leaded octagonal spirelet with weathervane. Interior: 3 bay C13 S arcade with octagonal piers, moulded caps and bases, double chamfered pointed arches, a single chamfer only to SW. One pier has a small pointed niche for an image with a hole for lamp bracket, 2 holes in E respond for rood screen. Above arcade are jambs to former clerestorey openings with inside aisle, a single round light. C14 chancel arch is unevenly 2 centred, double chamfer dying into chamfered jambs. 2 centred double chamfered tower arch. Nave N wall has large round headed opening of C11 window. Towards E part of probable surround to former opening onto rood stair. Chancel N wall has early C20 vestry door, 4 centred arch with carved spandrels to square head. S wall has late C13 piscina, trefoiled pointed head, outer chamfer, hood mould, credence shelf. A blocked C19 door. Ceiled 7 sided braced collar and rafter roofs with C15 arched braced moulded cambered tie beams in nave. C18 font with fluted and gadrooned bowl, unfinished stem. Monuments: removed from churchyard to S porch is large monument to Gen J. Sabine, d.1729. Marble. Epitaph on base. Panelled sarcophagus with relief carving, reclining Roman general with trophies and arms on sides. Diagonally set scrolled buttresses. Panelled obelisk rises into collar purlin. N chancel wall. Rev. C. Proby and family, d.1727, marble epitaph in aedicule with scrolled pilasters, achievement above. W. Gore, d.1709, marble epitaph in scrolled and draped Baroque cartouche with seraphs. Rev. A. Willis, d.1796, marble slab. T.H. Beit, d.1917, bronze slab with pilasters and wings by H. Pegrams. Wife and son of R. Mackay, d.1817 and 1818, reeded Greek Revival marble slab. In SE corner of nave beyond arcade is a tall varicoloured marble wall monument to Lady E. Cathcart, d.1789, fret band below epitaph, arms over cornice with 2 figures in relief flanking an urn. Nave W wall, Warren family, late C17 marble epitaph in cartouche, scrolled with arms above. S aisle wall: J. Fleet, d.1733, marble epitaph in cartouche, Baroque with scrolls, drapes, seraphs and skulls, arms above. Mrs. S. West and C. and S. Thornbery, d.1757, 1745 and 1770, marble epitaphs with blank cartouche below, obelisk above. Wooden board with details of will of Mrs. M. Sabine, d.1748, erected 1787. Brass in S aisle, figure of T. Pygott, d.1610. Floor slabs: chancel, early C14 Purbeck marble to Walter de Louthe, several C17 and C18 slabs in chancel, nave, tower and S aisle. E window, 1874 by Powell and Sons. Externally a small memorial on E wall to F. Lloyd, d.1805. Sundial on SE quoin. (East Herts Archaeological Society Transactions, vol.2, pt.2, 1903, p.165: RCHM 1910: VCH 1912: Pevsner 1977).
Listing NGR: TL2681214256
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
'Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society' in Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society, , Vol. 2, (1903), 165
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing