WEST FACADE AT KIFTSGATE COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1341742
Date first listed:
20-Feb-1985
Statutory Address:
WEST FACADE AT KIFTSGATE COURT

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1341742.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2021 at 01:36:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
WEST FACADE AT KIFTSGATE COURT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Cotswold (District Authority)
Parish:
Mickleton
National Grid Reference:
SP1702343088

Details

SP 1643-1743 MICKLETON

12/66 West Facade at Kiftsgate Court

II

Facade Kiftsgate Court. Late C18. Remainder of house was built in a Cl7 style between 1887-91, and is not of listable quality. Facade built for Walwyn Graves (born 1744, died 1813). Ashlar garden facade, extending around gable end of projecting wing, left, along right wall of wing, then at right angles along rear of main body of house projecting forwards slightly at centre continuing around its right gable end. 2 storeys with piano nobile. Gable end of projecting wing left comprises single storey portico supported by 8 Ionic columns, at front, with one single and one engaged column to either side. Stone balustrade links the columns, broken for access at sides. Parapet over portico. Twin gabled, gable end behind portico with moulded eaves cornice with dentil decoration and string which continue around right wall and across facade of main body. Two, 2-light sashes with horns with moulded architraves to first floor 4 similar windows to first floor along right wall of wing. Former pedimented doorway in right wall of wing, towards gable end, comprising 6-pane, C20 door flanked by engaged Ionic columns with 6-pane sash windows to either side, flanked by Ionic pilasters. Lower part of doorway blocked. Similar doorway and door towards right, in gable end, with 2-light stone mullioned casement to left, part glazed C20 plank door far left. Windows across main facade of right wing 2:2:2 with moulded architraves splayed at bottom with flat lintels with cushion mouldings moulded windows flanking central glazed ground floor door with keystones. Continuous string, forms sill of upper windows. All windows 2-pane sashes with horns. Rusticated ground floor with pedimented, projecting central portico above. Pediment supported by 6 Ionic columns at front with single free-standing columns at either side running back to Ionic pilasters, all linked by a stone balustrade. Central first floor doorway from portico with lugged architrave and triangular pediment supported on long, thin decorated brackets over. C20 glazed door within. History: the facade, built for Walwyn Graves (died 1813) was previously attached to Middleton Manor and was moved up hill from there by Sydney Graves Hamilton who built Kiftsgate Court 1887-91 (q.v.).

Listing NGR: SP1702343088

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
126985
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 16 Gloucestershire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12242/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Sarah L McKenna. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].