Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1341976.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 13:17:05.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Forest of Dean (District Authority)
Redmarley D'abitot
National Grid Reference:
SO 75227 31302



6/152 Church of St. Bartholomew 2.10.54


Parish church. Medieval base to tower; 1738 upper part tower; rest of church 1855 by Francis Niblett. Tower squared, coursed stone approaching ashlar: remainder coursed, squared, nearly rock- faced stone, with lighter ashlar dressings: tiled roof. West tower, nave, north aisle, chancel, north vestry, south porch. Three stage tower: west face plinth, diagonal corner buttresses, rising full height, upper parts slight projection only. Two- light, Y-tracery window, ovolo moulded (1738) in cavetto surround: small, flat-headed lancet second stage, 2-light, Y-tracery window with louvres top stage, square recess and moulding. Moulded strings between stages and above third, crenellated battlements, bases at corners for diagonally-set pinnacles, since removed. South face: tower as west but bottom stage plain, marks from sharpening arrows in plinth. Nave: diagonal corner buttress, gabled top: short parapet gable to tower. Two-light Decorated tracery window, hoodmould, head stops. Boarded door in arched, moulded surround, under timber-framed porch on low stone walls: gable opening with pierced spandrels, reticulated tracery to side lights, boarded gable, shaped bargeboards. Two 3-light reticulated tracery windows each side. Roof alternating 2 rows plain, 2 rows fish-scale tiles. To right similar window as left of porch, square-set buttress, further 2-light window (tracery different in each), diagonal corner buttress. Parapet gable, base for cross at apex. Chancel, plinth, 2 lancets each side of a boarded door up one stone step, decorative hinges, shouldered arch, hoodmould. Crested ridge tiles. East end, plinth, diagonal corner buttresses to chancel; 3 stepped lancets, parapet gable with floriate cross on cross-gablet apex. Vestry gable set back on right, boarded door on left under arched head with hoodmould. Two-light window, reticulated tracery, flat head, hoodmould with leaf stops. Diagonal corner buttress. Parapet gable, cross- gablet chimney outlet on apex, trefoil openings in gables. Aisle gable behind, spherical triangle in top, foiled, with hoodmould in parapet gable. Square-set gabled buttress. Interior: nave plastered, 3-bay arcade, moulded capitals and bases, hoodmould with head stops at ends only: no clerestorey. Plain arch to chancel, moulded top only. Exposed rafters, arch- braced collar trusses, foiling in spandrels and top, rising from corbels with ballflower decoration: half trusses with collars only. North aisle roof as nave but simpler: plain east end. Chancel, sill to east window on south taken down as sedilia: east end 3 lancets with hoodmoulds and corner columns, blind tracery each side. Pointed boarded vault, in panels. Painted stone pulpit, blind tracery to sides, corbelled off head near floor level. Octagonal stone font with blind tracery, on stem. Communion rails early C18 with return ends: turned balusters. Pews good C19, blind Gothic tracery to ends. Thirteen late C18, early C19 wall monuments, 1609 brass on strapwork background, two fine monuments on west end nave. Hatchment and benefactions board in tower, also 1704 headstone and 1757 chest. Forms group with Church House, The Inn House and Old Cottage (q.v.). (The Rev. H. M. Niblett, A Short History of Redmarley d'Abitot, 1928/1981; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970.)

Listing NGR: SO7522731302


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Niblett, H M, A Short History of Redmarley d'Abitot, (1928)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/11132/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Burrows. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].