THE OLD SILK MILL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1342026
Date first listed:
08-Jun-1983
Statutory Address:
THE OLD SILK MILL, SHEEP STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD SILK MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342026.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2019 at 16:45:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD SILK MILL, SHEEP STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Cotswold (District Authority)
Parish:
Chipping Campden
National Grid Reference:
SP 14956 38977

Details

SP 14 39 CHIPPING CAMPDEN SHEEP STREET (West side)

7/211 The Old Silk Mill

GV II*

Former silk mill, now workshops. C18, in 2 stages of build; from December 1902 the mill became the workshops for C.R. Ashbee and the Guild of Handicrafts. Coursed limestone rubble with Welsh slate roof. Rectangular plan. 3 storeys with attic to right part; 8-window first-floor range. Entrance to 4th opening: double plank doors and large late C18 fanlight with radial glazing bars in ashlar surround with imposts and keystone. Continuous timber lintels over 3-light wood casement windows-throughout, except 2-light to 8th bay and plank loading doors to 5th bay. Inserted round-arched window at right has 2-light casement with radial glazing to head and sill. Mill projects to rear right; similar fenestration to rear, but with paired casements separated by stone mullions; some C20 windows in original openings, otherwise mainly 3-light metal casements, some with green glass. Interior: entrance passageway formerly housed mill wheel. Ground floor has some 4-panel doors. Chamfered joists and exposed tie beams. Dog-leg oak staircase from entrance passage; remains of turned half-balusters to newels. First floor includes fireplaces to each workshop, fluted wooden housing for wires (electricity was installed by C.R. Ashbee in 1903, the first in the town), some pulleys from Ashbee's lathes. Centre window to rear of second floor has window inscribed "J.T. Bruce, Plumber, glazier and house painter. November 29 in the year of Our Lord 1829". King post roof. There are 3 attached plaster plaques designed by Ashbee, 2 to ground floor, one to staircase landing, with coats of arms between bands of foliage. Also to landing a metal memorial plaque_to C.W. Atkinson, D.1894, Guildsman and first apprentice of the Guild of Handicraft, with ornamental repousse wreath, enamelled. The silk mill, which is a significant example of an 18th century industrial building of this scale, is remarkably unaltered since Ashbee's day, and has retained much of its green glass described in the Ashbee Memoirs. The Guild of Handicraft, founded by Ashbee in 1888, became one of the foremost Arts and Crafts workshops of its period. It was transferred from Whitechapel to Campden in 1902, and the former silk mill then formed the focus of the communal life which, as a pioneering social experiment, formed the most bold and important expression of Arts and Crafts principles.

(Alan Crawford, "C.R. Ashbee. Architect, Designer and Romantic Socialist", Yale, 1985; Fiona MacCarthy, "The Simple Life: C.R. Ashbee in the Cotswolds", Lund Humphries, 1981).

Listing NGR: SP1492638990

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
126267
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Crawford, A, CR Ashbee Architect Designer and Romantic Socialist, (1985)
MacCarthy, F, The Simple Life CR Ashbee in the Cotswolds, (1981)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].