CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1342118
Date first listed:
11-Aug-1952
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH PAVEMENT
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, ST MARY'S GATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342118.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:59:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH PAVEMENT
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, ST MARY'S GATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Nottingham (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 57673 39654

Details

NOTTINGHAM

SK5739NE ST MARY'S GATE 646-1/21/604 (East side) 11/08/52 Church of St Mary

GV I

Parish church. C15, retaining late C14 fragments. Ashlar with lead roofs. South aisle restored and crossing vault replaced c1818-1820 by William Stretton. Rainwater head dated 1812. West end rebuilt in facsimile, and clerestory windows renewed 1845-1853 by WB Moffatt. Crossing piers restored 1843-1848 by Scott & Moffatt. Chancel reroofed 1872 by Scott. Chapter house to north-east 1890 by GF Bodley. Chapel to south-east 1912-1913 by Temple Moore. Choir vestry to north-west 1940. Restoration and cleaning of exterior stonework 1992-1993. Perpendicular style. PLAN: cruciform plan, with crossing tower and transepts. Aisleless chancel with vestry and chapter house to north, and chapel to south. Aisled nave with single storey choir vestry to north and porch to south. EXTERIOR: plinth, sill band, buttresses, crenellation and corner pinnacles. Chancel, 4 bays, has a 9-light east window with 3 transoms. To north two 4-light windows with double transoms, and to south a similar window. Vestry has an ogee gable with finial and a 4-light traceried window. Chapter house, single storey, has 4 flat-headed windows. South chapel, 4 bays, has 4-light windows with double transoms to east and south, with a smaller 2-light window to south west. Octagonal stair turret with spire to south-west. Crossing tower, 3 stages, has angle buttresses, string courses and 8 pinnacles. Second stage has a 4-light opening on each side, with double transoms. Clock below openings to east and west. Bell stage has on each side a pair of 2-light openings with transoms, flanked by identical blanks. North and south transepts, 4 bays, have panelled crenellation and huge segment-arched gable windows, 12 lights, divided by major mullions and 3 transoms. Pointed arched side windows on 2 storeys, 4 lights, with major mullions, some to east covered by additions. On the west sides, an octagonal stair turret with spire, the south one dated 1811. Nave clerestory has 12 windows with tracery, 4 lights, on each side. North aisle has 11 similar larger windows with plainer tracery. Vestry, single storey, has 4 flat-headed windows. Adjoining corridor has doorway and 2 similar windows. South aisle has 11 windows, 3 lights, with intersecting tracery and transoms. Both aisles have a 2-light window to east. South porch, restored 1983, has a shallow gable with blind tracery, angle and side buttresses, and a heavily cusped doorway with double shafts. Inside, a stone vault with moulded ribs, triangular arched doorway flanked by niches, and voussoirs with large square fleurons. Sculpted bronze doors and tympanum, 1904, by Henry Wilson. West end has a shallow gabled porch flanked by buttresses, and above it, a 12-light window similar to the east end, with several lower lights blocked. On either side, two 4-light windows with a pointed arched door below them. INTERIOR has rectangular stone panelling throughout, with roll moulded frames. Chancel has a truss roof with arch braces on angle corbels. South arcade 1912, 3 bays, with screens. Canopied wooden screen and reredos, Decorated style, 1885, by Bodley & Garner. Vestry has early C18 panelling and fireplace, modillion cornice and scalloped half-dome over the north window. Chapter house has panelling, cross beam ceiling and ashlar corner doorway. South chapel has piscina and triple sedilia. Fragments of C15 stained glass in the windows. Crossing has composite piers and fan vault, and moulded arches without shafts. North and south transepts have canopied tomb niches in the gable ends, that to south early C15, that to north c1473 by Thomas Thurland. Aisles have moulded eastern arches and west doors flanked by single windows. Restored north door with ogee gable and flanking piers. Roll moulded south door. Nave arcades, 6 bays, have slender lozenge-section piers without capitals, and simple arches with roll hood moulds. Mainly C19 king post roof with traceried spandrels, and arch braces on angel corbels. Stained glass by major C19 designers including Hardman, 1865-1878, Heaton, Butler & Bayne, 1867, Clayton & Bell, 1873-1891, Ward & Hughes, 1868, Burlison & Grylls, 1882 & 1903, Kempe, 1895-1905. Fittings include octagonal traceried panelled font, C15. Octagonal skeleton pulpit and brass eagle lectern, C19. Traceried panelled stalls, 1872, by Scott. Freestanding lion & unicorn, c1710. Bracket clock in north aisle, c1800. Memorials include C14 alabaster effigy, effigy in niche in south transept, c1413, to John Samon. Alabaster tomb chest in niche in north transept, c1414, to John de Tannesley, with resited mid C14 slab and late C15 figure. Some notable wall monuments, late C17-early C18. Many wall tablets, late C18-mid C19. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 219-223).

Listing NGR: SK5767339653

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
458577
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 219-223

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15252/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Eric Ritchie. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].