130-136, PICCOTT'S END


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
130-136, PICCOTT'S END


Ordnance survey map of 130-136, PICCOTT'S END
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342208 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 15:47:27.


Statutory Address:
130-136, PICCOTT'S END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Dacorum (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 05137 09107


PICCOTT'S END 1. 5252 (East Side) Nos 130 to 136 (even) [Formerly listed as Nos 67 to 70 (consec)] TL 0509 8/207 20.5.54.

I 2. C15 building, for many years a range of cottages. Timber frame, whitewashed plaster, red brick, old tiled roofs. 2 storeys, 5 gables, casement windows. Crown post roof of 3 trusses visible in No 132 which contains very important late C15 wall paintings, discovered March 1953, on north-west side wall. Religious themes, arranged like an ikonostasis, include Baptism, Christ in Majesty, Saints, etc. No 134 recorded as containing later C16 wall paintings. Plaque on front wall states that "In this Row of Cottages Sir Astley Cooper Bart, Surgeon to King George IV, Senior Surgeon at Guy's Hospital 1800 to 1825, opened the First Cottage Hospital January 1827." See Hertfordshire Archaeology, 3, pp 78-89.

Listing NGR: TL0513709107


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Hertfordshire Archaeology' in Hertfordshire Archaeology, , Vol. 3, (1973), 78-89


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Oct 2000
Reference: IOE01/03161/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ronald Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].