CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS AND SAINT MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1342280
Date first listed:
05-Jun-1953
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS AND SAINT MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS AND SAINT MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342280.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 16:23:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS AND SAINT MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Ingoldisthorpe
National Grid Reference:
TF 69069 32756

Details

TF 63 SE INGOLDISTHORPE

4/11 Church of All Saints 5.6.53. and Saint Michael.

- II*

Parish church. C14 Decorated Perpendicular transitional style, heavily restored 1857-1858 for the Rev. William Philip Beckett, vicar, presumably by G.E. Pritchett, architect of the contemporary vicarage (q.v.). Flint with stone dressings, slated roofs. West tower, nave and clerestorey with north and south aisles, south porch, chancel. West tower the least over restored part of the church: partly squared, knapped flint, stone panelled base, set-off angle buttresses to west face. West window of 2-lights, 4 lancets to second stage, 4 2-light belfry windows, battlemented parapet. North and south aisles with 3 straight headed 2-light Perpendicular windows. South porch largely mid-C19. Clerestorey with alternating circular and quatrefoil 2-light windows. Chancel has 3 south and one north 3-light windows with 4-centred arched heads combining Decorated flowing mouchettes and quatrefoils with lower Perpendicular tracery. East window with flowing Decorated tracery inserted 1858 by Pritchett. Interior: Perpendicular transitional 4 bay north and south nave arcades, with octagonal piers and double chamfered arches, semi-octagonal respond piers to tower and chancel arches, double hollow chamfered arches. Octagonal, originally rectangular Norman font, stone with simple interlace, beaded interlace, strapwork, Perpendicular stem and C19 base. In tower under west window, 3 brasses of the Rogerson family, the first dated 1608. Decorated- Perpendicular squared headed tracery roof screen with one central and 4 side lights. C19 roofs, scissors trussed to nave and chancel with wallposts and corbels carved by W. Brown of King's Lynn. Much High Victorian stained glass by Michael O'Connor for the Beckett family of Ingoldisthorpe Manor, 1859-1863; chancel north and 3 south windows, tower west window. East window 1858, perhaps by William Warrington.

Listing NGR: TF6906932756

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
221395
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Dec 2002
Reference: IOE01/03437/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Graham Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].