CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1342289
Date first listed:
08-Jul-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342289.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 16:48:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Runcton Holme
National Grid Reference:
TF 63522 08938

Details

TF 60 NW RUNCTON HOLME SOUTH RUNCTON

8/10 Church of St. Andrew 8.7.59

- II*

Parish church. Early C12, entirely rebuilt 1838-39 by John Brown. Rendered brick and slate roof. Nave with apsidal chancel in Neo-Norman style. West front with giant corner pilasters. 2 orders of shafts to west door below zig-zag arch. 2-light west window above string course under dog-tooth super- arch flanked by one blind arch left and right similarly decorated. Bell- cote at ridge of gable. South nave of 3 bays divided by pilasters. Each bay has round lancet flanked by one blind lancet left and right, the latter having necks pinched by obtrusive imposts on nook-shafts. Arches are billet moulded. Corbel table at eaves in form of grotesque heads. Apse similar, without decorative blind lights to windows, and with roll moulding replacing billet. North nave similar but with one simple round-headed narrow lancet to each bay. Apsidal vestry added to north chancel 1858, with timber parapet and conical lead roof. Interior. Early C12 chancel arch : 2 orders shafts on drum bases with cushion capitals just becoming scalloped. Square imposts. Arch completely renewed with chevron and billet decoration.

Listing NGR: TF6352208938

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
221342
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/02121/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Graham Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].