CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1342293
Date first listed:
08-Jul-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342293.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 21:04:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Wiggenhall St. Germans
National Grid Reference:
TF 58264 14404

Details

TF 51 SE WIGGENHALL ST MARY CHURCH ROAD THE VIRGIN 3/39 Church of St. Mary 8.7.59 The Virgin

- I

Parish church. C13 north and south doors, remainder c.1400, restored 1862 by G. E. Street. Carstone, ashlar and brick with slate roofed nave and chancel, lead aisles. West tower, nave, aisles and chancel. 3 stage tower with western angle buttresses containing stair turrets to full height. 2-light restored Perpendicular west window. Lancets to ringing chamber. Belfry stage of brick with 2-light windows of early Perpendicular type of panels on cusped round- headed lights. Crenellated parapet, bowed at western corners for stair turrets. 3-light Perpendicular aisle west and east windows with 2-light side windows of same pattern as belfry. Brick south porch with flat buttresses tunnel vaulted within with 5 moulded transverse ribs. Sundial over exterior arch dated 1742. 2-light Perpendicular side windows as before. South door C13 with under- cut mouldings on 2 orders of columns. Flat buttresses to aisles, angle at corners. 5 clerestory windows, to south of 2-light standard Perpendicular pattern of this building, to north of 3-light stiffly intersecting. North aisle door arched with 2 orders C13 columns with moulded capitals and double hollow chamfered arches. Single stiff-leaf corbel below hood mould. Chancel with flat buttresses angled to east and 2-light side windows as before, 2 to south, one to north. Priests door. C19 4-light Perpendicular east window. Interior. 5 bay arcade of quatrefoil piers with keels between the lobes. Moulded polygonal bases and capitals supporting double chamfered arches. Clerestory windows over apices. Stilted chamfered tower arch on plain walls defined by wave mouldings. Nave roof by Street 1862 : crenellated tie beams on braces support octagonal crown posts with arched braces to collars and purlin. Main trusses scissor braced above and panelled. Chancel roof of collars on arched braces of same date. Angle piscina in chancel cinquefoiled to north. Dado of chancel screen c.1500-25 : 2 bays each side each divided into 2 ogeed panels containing excellent painted figures of saints. Early C17 pulpit with cable moulded arcades and reading desk on scrolled brackets. Early C16 south-east parclose screen with each dado bay divided by cusped lights; frieze of Perpendicular tracery. Monument to Sir Henry Kervil 1624 of alabaster: tomb chest with strapwork cartouches to 2 side bays and 2 of 3 front bays. Central bay with figures of baby and child. Straight-legged recumbent effigies of Sir Henry and wife. On wall behind paired unfluted Corinthian columns flank black inscription tablet with strapwork border. Columns stand on heavy plinth with brackets and support stepped entablature rising in centre to enclose coat of arms. Arched strapwork corner finials. Font cover dated MFPH 1625. 4 turned columns with capitals support carved arcade with pendants dropping on alternate sides. Console cornice, conical roof with ball finial upon which is a vulning pelican. Brass lectern dated 1518. Complete set of benches in nave c.1500 although on south side appear to be nearer c.1400 in date. Pierced backs with various geometric or flowing tracery panels, bench ends with figures standing in niche, ocassionally 2 figures in 2 niches, flanked by crenellated buttresses with figurative or animal arm rests and poppyheads

Listing NGR: TF5826414404

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
221371
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/02121/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Graham Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].