CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1342301
Date first listed:
08-Jul-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342301.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:41:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Stradsett
National Grid Reference:
TF 66821 05684

Details

TF 60 NE STRADSETT

5/41 Church of St. Mary 8.7.59 _ II*

Parish church. C13 west tower, continuous nave and chancel originally of this date but restored 1891. Carstone and ashlar with flint in tower. Nave and chancel rendered. 3 stage unbuttressed tower. West lancet under hood mould just becoming pointed. String courses divide storeys. Square lancet to ringing chamber on west side only. Pointed lancet to first stage north and south. 2-light cusped 4-centred belfry windows early Cl5 on twisted C13 shafts. Battlemented parapet with corner pinnacles also C15. Coping to west nave gable repaired but stands on C13 grotesque corbels. Gabled south porch of 1891. C13 south door with hood mould on head stops. 3 cusped intersecting south windows and 4 similar to north, all 1891. Arched C13 priest's door. Diagonal east buttresses. 3-light east window of C15. Pointed cusped lights below series of ogee sub-lights within rising central supermullions. Hood mould on labels. Gabled C19 vestry built over north door. Interior. Responds to C13 tower arch chamfered and terminating below imposts in tongue stops. Chamfered pointed arch with deep plain soffit, the chamfers springing from broaches. Rere-arch to west tower lancet with C16 German stained glass panel depicting Crucifixion with angels above roundel of the Lamb carrying a flag. C19 roof in imitation of hammerbeam type. East window with stained glass panels depicting adoration of the Magi made in Ausberg 1540 and inserted here 1820. Wall monument north chancel to Thomas Philip Bagge 1827 by Sir Richard Westmacott : Seated mourning figure of woman above inscription plaque. On south chancel wall monument to Grace Bagge 1834 : white marble. 2 embracing angels above inscription plaque. Beneath chancel seating is memorial brass to Thomas Lathe 1418, depicted wearing armour.

Listing NGR: TF6682105684

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
221515
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Aug 2005
Reference: IOE01/13013/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Giles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].