CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1342310
Date first listed:
09-Jul-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, RYSTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342310.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 16:56:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, RYSTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Denver
National Grid Reference:
TF 61455 01646

Details

TF 6101 DENVER RYSTON ROAD 9/5 Church of St. Mary 9/7/51 - II*

Parish church. Late C13 west tower, nave and chancel fabric C14, refenestrated C15, north aisle and arcade 1870 when church and roofs restored. Carstone with ashlar dressings and plain tiled roofs. 3 stage tower with diagonal buttresses at west to first stage and set off at second. Lancets to first 2 stages. 2-light Y traceried belfry windows and battlemented parapet. Western clock face 1870. Gabled south porch to nave with diagonal buttresses and Perpendicular 2-light side windows. One C14 Y traceried window to west and 2 transomed C15 3-light windows east of porch. C19 windows. Diagonal east buttresses with 3-light restored east window : ogeed cusped lights support 3 encircled quatrefoils of c.1330. One trefoiled niche right and left. Wall monument below window of 1715 with consoles supporting pediment above inscription plaque. 3 2-light windows to north chancel under flat heads. North aisle with similar fenestration of 1870. Interior. 4 bay north arcade of octagonal piers and moulded polygonal capitals supporting double chamfered arches. Boarded scissor braced roof with cusps restored but retaining C15 wall plate decorated with shields and fleur-de-lys.

Listing NGR: TF6145501646

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
221451
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/04959/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Giles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].