Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342359.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 00:17:02.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 50593 02780


UPWELL SMALL LODE TF 5002 15/43 Church of St. Peter 11.8.51 G.V. I

Parish church. C13 north-west tower, nave early C14 but rebuilt with aisles and chancel mid C15. Restored 1836-38, crenellations to parapets added 1842, chancel restored 1887. Barnack stone and clunch with leaded roofs. 3 stage tower over north aisle with angle buttresses to second stage. 3-light mid C14 west window with hexagon tracery and hood mould. String courses at division of storeys. 2-light C13 plate tracery ringing chamber windows with columns as responds and as central shaft. Spandrels pierced by trefoils. South window obscured by later nave. Octagonal late C14 belfry stage with renewed glazed 2-light cusped windows. String course below crenellated parapet. West door into nave is arched. Above is 4-light cusped intersecting west window of early C14. Crenellated gable. Both aisles and clerestories with crenellated parapets. Aisles with 5 3-light C15 panel tracery windows under 4-centred arches and between stepped buttresses. 4-centred door in west bay of south aisle and 2 storeyed porch in west bay of north aisle. Porch is gabled with angle buttresses and entered through wave moulded arch. 2-light square-headed side windows below first floor trefoiled lancet. To north a 3-light flat-headed panel tracery window flanked by a statuary niche right and left. Each niche with nodding ogee canopy. Interior of porch has a tierceron vault. Clerestory of 2-light square-headed windows with cusped round arches (6 to south, 5 to north). To south-east of nave is a brick stair turret terminating in bell-cote with finial. Chancel supported by stepped buttresses to flanks, angle buttresses to east. 3 3-light 4-centred panel traceried windows to flanks, the centre window on south side reduced to accommodate arched priests door. C19 4-light Perpendicular east window. C19 single storey vestry to chancel north. Interior. 6 bay arcade of lozenge piers on high plinths supporting continuous double wave and roll moulded arches. Polygonal capitals to east and west. Clerestory windows over apexes of arches. Thin colonnettes rise from spandrels of arches to roof corbels. Blocked south and east tower arches. Nave roof of alternating tie and hammer beams, the latter carrying flight of carved angels with spread wings. Tie beams have arched braces dropping to corbels, crenellations and carved angels. From ties traceried panels rise to moulded principals. Arched braces with fleurons rise from hammer beams to principals (there are 2 pairs of principals to each bay). One tier moulded butt purlins and ridge piece. Central roof bosses in form of carved angels. Aisle roofs also of hammer beam type, each alternate hammer beam in form of carved angel with spread wings. Principals and 2 tiers butt purlins are moulded. Non-figurative hammer beams have carved and traceried arched braces dropping down to similar wall posts on carved corbels, and traceried arched braces rising up to principals. Western and north galleries 1838 stand on octagonal cast iron columns. Chancel roof has boarded ashlaring decorated with row of angels. Row of false hammer beams with alternating carved figures of angels and devils. One tier moulded butt purlins and ridge piece. Bosses to former are foliate, to the latter are angels. In nave octagonal C15 font, the stem with shields and nodding ogees, the bowl with angels holding shields. Chancel south wall contains brass to William Mowbray 1428 beneath triple cusped canopy. Chancel north wall contains brass to Henry Martyn 1435 with flanking shields. Both are in clasical dress.

Listing NGR: TF5059302780


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/04485/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Giles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].