CHURCH OF ST MARAGRET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1342376
Date first listed:
05-Jul-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARAGRET, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARAGRET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342376.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 17:48:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARAGRET, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Wereham
National Grid Reference:
TF 68103 01667

Details

TF 6801 WEREHAM CHURCH ROAD (north side) 12/53 5.7.59 Church of St.Margaret

GV II*

Parish church. C13, early C14, restored 1866. Carstone, flint and clunch with ashlar quoins. Slate roofs, the south aisle leaded. West tower, nave, aisles and chancel. 2 stage tower with short angle buttresses to west. Arched west door c.1300. Lancets to each face. String course at division of storeys. 2-light 4-centred belfry windows, that to east square above original roof line. String course below C16 brick crenellated parapet with corner pinnacles. Wall sundial attached to south face of belfry stage. Aisles with diagonal west buttresses and 3 flat flanking buttresses framing 3 2-light square-headed C19 windows. North aisle east buttress is diagonal. 2 wide C19 lancets light south chancel. Triple lancet east window, all with renewed C19 masonry. Renewed north chancel lancet to east of C19 lean-to vestry, lit by paired lancets to east and entered through 2 arched north doors. Interior. Tower lancets with deep internal splays. 3 bay arcades of quatrefoil piers with deep hollows between lobes. Capitals and bases renewed 1866. Double chamfered arches. Plain scissor braced C19 nave roof with 3 tiers butt purlins. Aisle roofs of principals and purlins, also C19. C14 octagonal font. Blocked early C13 tower arch replaced by arch of c.1300. Chancel arch of double hollow chamfers. C19 scissor braced chancel roof boarded and plastered. Marble wall monument in south aisle to Christopher Adamson 1786: Ionic pilasters frame inscription tablet and support broken pediment with apical coat of arms. Apron of black marble carries 2 further coats of arms. Marble wall monument in south chancel wall to John Heaton 1779: Fluted Doric pilasters with dentils to base and block architraves with roundels frame inscriptions tablet. Entablature supports swept plinth with coat of arms upon which is bust of John Heaton.

Listing NGR: TF6810301667

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
221708
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/09982/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Edward Impey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].