CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1342386
Date first listed:
15-Aug-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342386.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 00:12:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Castle Acre
National Grid Reference:
TF 81598 15022

Details

.. CASTLE ACRE CHURCH LANE (east side) TF 8115

11/3 Church of St. James. 15.8.60. - I

Parish Church. Largely C14 and C15, with some c.1300 details, restored by Ewan Christian, architect. Rubble flint with squared knapped flint and cut stone dressings, leaded aisle, green slate nave and chancel roofs. West tower, 5 bay nave, clerestorey, north and south aisles, north porch, 3 bay chancel, north vestry. Perpendicular 4 stage west tower with 2 angle buttresses to each face. Perpendicular moulded arch west door. Large 2 stage 4-light west embattled transom window, traceried upper panels. Sounding chamber has 2 quatrefoil sound-hole openings to each face. Bell stage has 4 2-light Perpendicular windows. Moulded stone plinth. Angle buttresses with 5 set offs, sixth stage above become angle clasping buttress with tracery panels. Battle- mented tracery panel parapet, flat roof. 2 storey Perpendicular north porch with outer moulded arch. Large arched aumbry or stoup opening. Blocked 3-light parvise window. 5 bay north aisle has at west one 3-light straight headed Perpendicular window, 2 windows under 4-centred Perpendicular arches. 3 central windows have rich Curvilinear tracery with 2 quatrefoils set in lozenges. 2 east windows of Rectilinear tracery, richest at east. 5 buttresses with 2 set offs. 5 bay south aisle has 4 Perpendicular 3-light windows, one 2-light west Perpendicular window with battlemented transom. One 3-light Perpendicular east window. 5 bay Perpendicular clerestorey with 3-light straight headed windows. 3 bay chancel has re-set Early English south priest's door with collonnettes and moulded arch, blocked arch above. 2 elaborate tracery 3-light Perpendicular windows with battlemented transoms in upper lights. East window replaced by Ewan Christian with Early English style plate tracery. 4-light window. Distinctive 2 storey elevation C15 north vestry with 2 2-light straight headed Perpendicular east windows, 3 north side rectangular slits. Angle buttress, stone parapet with 4 kneeling beast pinnacles. Interior: 5 bay north and south arcades involve either C15 re- building of c.1300 piers or insertion of alternate C15 piers, all with Perpendicular double hollow chamfered arches. Almost detached shaft c.1300 quatrefoil piers with original moulded bases and capitals alternate with quatrefoil piers with C15 bases and capitals. Perpendicular tower and chancel arches. Double frame nave roof has perhaps C17 or C18 arched upper trusses resting on main truss, C19 boarding. Mid C19 roofs elsewhere. C15 octagonal stone font of simple design with roll mouldings running up from stem to bowl. Fine C15 spire canopy with architectural frame of arches, buttresses and spirelets surviving, panels missing surviving. Tower arch with C18 Commandment boards re-used in C20 screen. Aisles have sides and upper arched trusses with crested framing of parclose screens. C15 poppyhead benches in both aisles. Fine painted C15 goblet pulpit with 4 Doctors of Latin Church. Rood stairs and rood loft door at south. Fine dado only of rood screen with painted Apostle panels. Chancel stalls with misericord seats, front panels made up from re-used screens. Large mutilated large piscina with cut back triangular spandrel with traces of trefoils, perhaps c.1300.

Listing NGR: TF8159815022

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
221871
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/04706/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Francis Polaine. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].