Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342420.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 01:03:48.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
West Winch
National Grid Reference:
TF 63221 15865


WEST WINCH WEST WINCH TF 51 NW Main Road (east side) 4/82 Church of St Mary 15.8.60 - II* Parish church, C13 and later. Carstone with limestone and brick dressings; slate roof. West tower, nave, chancel, south aisle and south porch. Tall tower mainly of carstone with limestone dressings; stepped diagonal buttresses; polygonal stair turret to north-east; west face with lower part of flint flushwork panels; Perpendicular west doorway with blank shields in spandrels, large lion stops, 2 side shafts to left and to right; canopied polygonal niches flanking doorway; 3-light west window with stepped supertransoms and panel tracery, some brickwork above; clock with limestone face dated 1727; traceried sound openings to north and south with shields, that to north blank; bell openings of 2 cusped lights under large cusped eyelet; brick embattled parapet with limestone crocketted pinnacles. Nave incorporates earlier diagonal buttresses of tower. South nave of carstone with some limestone, brick dressings, 3 renewed clerestorey lights with brick dressings each of 3 trefoil-headed lights under a segmental arch. South aisle of carstone with limestone dressings; 2 openings each of 2 cuspheaded lights under a square head, that to right with figure stops; east window of aisle with 3 cuspheaded lights. South porch: gabled north and south, gable parapet with shaped kneelers, remains of cross on north gable, plain tiles; south facade and diagonal buttresses of flint and limestone chequerwork, double hollow chamfered porch arch, sundial above dated 1766; returns of brick with flint chequerwork plinth, 2-light Decorated openings. Porch interior with quadripartite vault with stone ribs springing from defaced figure corbels; central bossy brick benches, moulded south doorway with deeply undercut hood mould and large figure stops. Chancel: carstone with brick dressings; south chancel with 3 stepped buttresses in brick, 2 openings of 2 and 3 pointed lights under a square hood mould, doorway to right blocked in brick; east chancel with much iron conglomerate, C13 east window of 3 stepped lights, mural monument to Phillip Brittiff 1723, Usher of the Free Schole at Lynn; north chancel with small lancet and C19 lean-to vestry. North nave of large carstone blocks, 2 3-light Perpendicular openings with panel tracery, north doorway as south. Crosses to nave and chancel gables. Interior: roof renewed C19; 3-bay south arcade with polygonal responds, that to west with ball flowers to capital; eastern pier of two polygonal responds, respond to west with nail head decoration to capital, quatrefoil western pier; double chamfered eastern arch, double hollow chamfers to central and western arches. Double chamfered chancel arch with polygonal jambs and a lancet archway to either side; north nave lancet with C12 splayed rear arch; C17 table with strapwork frieze and bulbous legs, table top extended; C17 rails with vase turned balusters, newels with large carved figures holding loaf, winecup, moneybag and cross. Tall tower arch with semi-circular jambs, polygonal capitals supporting multi-chamfered arch; C14 screen to tower with Decorated tracery to 4 panels, upper lights renewed; 4-centred doorway to tower stair with ledged and battened door. South aisle: cuspheaded piscina and C17 table. Plain octagonal tub font with moulded base added to octagonal stem with moulded head. Rear arch of south doorway moulded; alms box on trefoil headed C15 bench end with carving of St Paul. West nave with some C15 poppy head benchends; brick floor.

Listing NGR: TF6322115865


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/10789/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Francis Polaine. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].