CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1342473
Date first listed:
16-Jul-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342473.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 10:03:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
Besthorpe
National Grid Reference:
TM 06576 95621

Details

TM 09 NE BESTHORPE

2/51 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS 16.7.58 I

Parish church. c.1320 and later, restored 1876 and 1883. Flint with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. West tower, nave, transepts and chancel. Tower of 3 stages on high plinth. Angle buttresses changing to diagonal in second stage. 2-light cusped Y west window. North and south similar but blocked with knapped flint c.1450 when repairs carried out. Partly blocked circular cusped ringing chamber windows to north and south probably C15 as interior shows arched windows originally intended. Reduced belfry stage pierced by restored 2-light Y windows below parapet. Gabled south porch with chamfer and hollow exterior mouldings. Plinth of apex cross remains. Finely moulded inner jambs and rectangular splayed side lights. One C19 Y window to nave with tracery of piled trefoils. South transept has string course below windows continuous and nave and chancel. Angle buttresses. 2-light cusped Y windows to east and west, the latter blocked as tower. South window is of 3 lights with mouchette tracery. High gabled roof. Chancel sides have 3 3-light intersecting cusped windows with flat buttress between eastern pair. Low priest's door to south. Angle buttresses at east frame 5-light mouchette east window of 1876 below low coped parapet. String course continues round north. Cusped 2-light Y traceried window to east wall of north transept. 3-light intersecting north window. North nave window as south. Gabled C19 vestry with angle buttresses and 2-light window with Y tracery and piled trefoils. INTERIOR Double chamfered tower arch and stilled rere arches over north and south doors. All windows have internal shafting. Transept arches carried on polygonal responds with capitals, the arches themselves chamfered and with hollows below hoods on head stops. South transept contains one walI niche either side of east window with rising buttresses and ogee or straight gables crocketted with finials. Similar piscina in south wall. South-east pier has a statutory niche. Chancel arch hollow chamfered. Chancel sedilia and piscina in continuous 6-gabled range, the gables containing cusped ogee arches with ogeed trefoils fitting the spandrels. Crockets and finials. Chancel north wall has tomb of Sir William Drury of 1640 usually attributed to Gerard Christmas. Altar pedestal has predella containing alabaster carvings of 2 of Drury's children with a skull. Sir William reclines on rolled up mat separated by pair of Tuscan columns from his wife to the left kneeling, and 3 children to the right, kneeling. All figures alabaster. Semi-circular niche above effigy bears inscription and is crowned by achievement with coat of arms in shield. Architraves break forward right and left to meet columns and are finished by oval medallions with laurel surround. All roofs C19 scissor braced. Fragments of C15 glass. Chancel screen 1931.

Listing NGR: TM0657695621

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
220298
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07590/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David R. Wickham. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].