CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1342490
Date first listed:
30-May-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342490.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 17:23:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
Mileham
National Grid Reference:
TF 92201 19576

Details

TF 91 NW MILEHAM THE STREET (south-side)

7/45 Church of St.John the 30.5.60 Baptist

GV I

Parish church. Medieval. Flint, partly rendered; with ashlar and some brick dressings. Slate, lead and felt to medieval south aisle roof. Aisled nave with tower porch to north and chancel. Nave with 8 restored C15 2-light clear- storey windows, a 3-light C14 west window with dagger and mouchette soufflets. South aisle with C14 moulded doorway, 2 3-light Perpendicular windows with transoms and shallow heads, a fine 3-light C14 east window with dagger enclosed by pair of mouchettes and a 2-light C14 cusped Y-traceried west window. North aisle with 4 3-light Perpendicular windows and a C14 simply moulded doorway of 3 orders leading into tower, C14 tower porch with angle buttresses, large plain chamfered entrance. Lancets above with ogee heads and 2-light Y- traceried bell openings and later crenellated parapet with flushwork arcading, carved panelling, corner finials of seated figures and gargoyles. Chancel with one restored 2-light traceried window and a blocked C14 cusped oculus no north; a late Perpendicular sash window with embattled transoms and tri- angular arches. Late Cl2 Priest's door to south with 2-centred arch of 2 orders set on one pair of nook shafts with scallop capitals and inner order with boldly projecting angle roll and scallop capitals. 2 2-light Y-traceried windows, one with cusping. 3-bay nave: to south one column with half-column respond to west and one irregular octagonal pier with semi-octagonal respond to east. Plain 2-centred arches. To north large rectangular piers with keel moulded angle rolls and hollow chamfered arches. Piscina in each aisle. Rood stair with ogee headed entrance to north. Cl5 arch braced aisle roofs with embattled wall plates, moulded purlins and spandrels with very fine Flamboyant tracery. Chancel with pair of large, badly mutilated, C14 niches with former nodding ogee heads. Simple piscina to south. 2 fine Bramwell family wall memorials of 1787 and 1802. C15 polygonal pulpit on single stem with traceried panels. Octagonal font with traceried panels and stem and plinth set with medieval glazed tiles. 2 C14 tomb slabs with characteristic foliate crosses. Wooden columnar poor box with 3 locks dated 1639. West window with considerable quantity of C14 stained galss. Brass in south aisle floor to Christopher Crowe (1526).

Listing NGR: TF9220119576

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
220503
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/04690/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian R. Faulkner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].