Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342501.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 02:04:02.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Breckland (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 97402 85166


TL 98 NE HARLING WEST HARLING 1/27 Church of All Saints 16/7/58 - I

Parish church. Late C13, C14, repaired 1733, restored 1902. Flint. with ashlar dressings and plain tiled roofs. West tower, nave, chancel. C14 2 stage tower with diagonal buttresses west, flat east, both with chequered flushwork. Diamond pattern flushwork base course below 2-light west window of 1902 in early Perpendicular style with hood and head stops. Trefoiled ringing chamber lights to north and south under square hoods. To south is trefoiled statue niche under crocketted ogee arch with finial. String course below plain paired lancet belfry windows of 1756 and brick crenellated parapet of same date. Gabled south porch with diagonal buttresses. Wave moulded entrance arch with hood on C19 head stops below brick relieving arch. Square statue niche above and 2-light side windows under square hoods. One mid C14 early Perpendicular 2-light nave window to south and 2 similar to north nave, all with hoods on grotesque stops. To east re-set (in 1733) 2-light plate tracery window : double lancet with hollow cut mouldings with super arch over spandrels punched with rounded quatrefoil. Parapet to nave and narrower chancel with 2-light intersecting window of 1902 and plain arched priest's door. 3-light cusped intersecting east window with hood on head stops of c.1300. Blocked roll moulded roundel above. One C13 lancet to north chancel and square C19 vestry with rising gabled dormer with Y window (lighting organ loft) of same date. 3 flat buttresses to north nave wall and moulded and arched north door. Interior. Double hammerbeam nave roof of 1902 with solid arched braces to wall posts carved with flower and diaper motifs and pierced tracery spandrels. Collars and 2 tiers moulded butt purlins. Chancel roof barrel vaulted also 1902 of timber. Roll moulded jambs and filleted depressed rere arch to south plate tracery window, the east jamb truncated to facilitate C13 angle piscina. Piscina with trefoiled ogeed arch on round columns with capitals, later than window which has been re-located. Fragments of medieval glass in quatrefoil of this window and in head of window opposite. Hollow chamfered chancel arch late C13. Empty sedilia niche in chancel with fragment of late C13 painted diaper exposed on rear wall. Double piscina within square surround. C15 octagonal font with ogee tracery to stem, head corbels under bowl and roll moulded stem panels with curved shields and floral patterns. 3 brasses in nave floor, from east : William Berdewell and wife, 1508; William Berdewell c.1490 and wife; Ralph Fuloflore, priest, 1479. All of high quality with inscriptions at foot, the priest in mass vestments.

Listing NGR: TL9740285166


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/12114/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Tree. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].