CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1342548
Date first listed:
30-May-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342548.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 23:04:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
Elsing
National Grid Reference:
TG 05170 16539

Details

TG 01 NE ELSING CHURCH ROAD (south side)

4/18 Church of St.Mary 30.5.60. - I

Parish church. Built by Sir Hugh Hastings between 1330 and 1347 replacing an earlier church of which a small fragment of wailing survives in west wall of nave. Flint with ashlar and some brick dressings. Pantile roofs. West tower, exceptionally wide aisleless nave with north and south porches, chancel with contemporary vestry to north. West tower with angle buttresses Incorporating a stair turret to north west. blest doorway with dying mould- ings. 2-light traceried window above with mouchettes and daggers. 2-light bell-openings with similar tracery. Crenellated parapet with flushwork and crocketted corner pinnacles. Crenellated parapets also to nave and chancel. Nave porches with ogee headed and trilobe cusped entrances. Ogee headed north door with double cusping and a hood mould with fleuron. 6 3-light nave windows with fine Decorated tracery consisting in each case of a pair of diagonal petals with a shorter vertical petal or dagger above. The cusping is wide except in the two easternmost windows on the north side where it is doubled. Chancel with 2 2-light windows to south and one to north with paired mouchettes and dagger tracery. 5-light east window with 9 flamboyant mouchettes. Blocked entrance to vault beneath east window. Contemporary vestry with a 2-light Y-traceried east window. Interior. Tall tower arch of 2 plain-chamfered orders on polygonal responds. Triple sedilia cum piscina with cusped ogee heads. Mutilated life-size brass in chancel to Sir Hugh Hastings (died 1347) with effigy surrounded by figures in architectural canopies. C14 octagonal font with bell-shaped bowl and blind tracery. Contemporary restored font cover with tracery, flying buttresses and crocketted spire. Surviving chancel screen dado with mutilated paintings. Fragments of C14 glass in chancel.

Listing NGR: TG0517016539

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
220724
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15348/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Russell Sparkes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].