Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1342564

Date first listed: 09-Jul-1951

Statutory Address: NARFORD HALL


Ordnance survey map of NARFORD HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342564 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Apr-2019 at 13:47:07.


Statutory Address: NARFORD HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Breckland (District Authority)

Parish: Narford

National Grid Reference: TF 76662 13717



3/16 Narford Hall 9.7.51


Mansion. Built by Andrew Fountaine of Salle, Norfolk (1632-1706) from 1690 to c,17o4. Greatly enlarged from c. 1830 under the direction of Andrew Fountaine. Carstone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Original block to south west. Mainly 2 storeys with attics. 7-bay facade to original block of sash windows with glazing bars (presumably C18 replacements) surrounded by stone eared architraves. Pedimented, slightly advanced and ashlar faced central 3 bays. Former entrance aedicule consists of open-topped segmental pediment on a pair of columns with carved capitals. Fanlight with radiating glazing bars within. Rusticated quoins, plain platband, modillion cornices and balustraded parapet. Hipped roof with 4 dormer windows beneath segmental pediments. Andrew Fountaines enlargements include a stone tower porch with cupola to north east side of original block and extensive additions reflecting the style of the original block. Interior. Cycle of paintings by Antonio Pellegrini; staircase dated 1704 with twisted balusters; various early C18 plaster ceilings and fire- places. Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses, vol. III, 1981, pp.161- 162. Minimal description due to lack of access to land.

Listing NGR: TF7666213717


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 220919

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Kenworthy Browne, J, Reid, P, Sayer, M, Watkin, D, 'Burkes and Savills Guide to Country Houses' in East Anglia, , Vol. 3, (1981), 161-162
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 29 Norfolk,

End of official listing