CHURCH OF ST MARY CHURCH OF ST MARY VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1342746
Date first listed:
22-Aug-1962
Date of most recent amendment:
28-May-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
CHURCH OF ST MARY VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342746 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2019 at 18:24:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Dover (District Authority)
Parish:
Lydden
National Grid Reference:
TR2642945710

Details

TR 24 NE LYDDEN CHURCH LANE (south side) 2/85 Church of 22.8.62 St. Mary (formerly listed as Church of St Mary Virgin) GV II* Parish Church. C12 origin, now largely C13, restored 1866, 1868-9 and 1899. Flint with plain tiled roof. Chancel, nave with west tower and south porch. Single stage tower, the top stage removed after C16 earth- quake damage, with clasping buttresses and brick eaves cornice to low tiled spire, and blocked belfry windows. Small single lights on ground floor with trefoil heads carved from single block, C13 south porch with chamfered outer door and roll moulded inner doorway with attached shafts, and medieval ogee-shaped door. Chancel stepped in from nave, with corner buttresses to nave and chancel. East wall rebuilt Cl9. Lancets throughout. Interior: C19 chamfered doorway to tower. Blocked stop-chamfered north doorway, tall and narrow. Two chamfered. elliptical recesses in north wall, the easternmost with a low window inset, and 2 on south wall, with crude enrichment of figures, flower ornament, attached shafts and cusping; utilised or intended as tomb recesses for the Monyns family. Blocked and truncated semi-circular arch in extreme south east of nave with small round-headed lancet on east wall C19 trussed rafter roof. Chancel arch of 1866, and C19 chancel roof. Two hollow chamfered elliptical recesses on south wall, integral with double sedilia. Simple trefoiled piscina in chancel. Fittings all C19. (BOE Kent II, 1983,375).

Listing NGR: TR2620645497

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
178614
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 375

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].