CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1342788
Date first listed:
16-Jul-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342788.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 02:11:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
Kilverstone
National Grid Reference:
TL 89386 84014

Details

KILVERSTONE TL 88 SE 7/37 Church of St Andrew

16.7.58 II*

Parish church. C12, refurbished C14, restored 1906 by Boardman. Flint with stone quoins and plaintile roof. Nave and chancel survive. Massive C12 round west tower of 3 storeys with plain parapet showing brick repairs. C20 ground floor window to west. 3 simple round headed slit windows to ringing chamber. 4 2-light belfry windows divided by octagonal or circular solumns supporting round headed arches. Remains of scalloped capitals. South porch and exterior detail C20. 2-light plate traceried nave and chancel windows. East window 3-light in Decorated style. South door C12 with flanking columns and foliate capitals. Square imposts and zig-zag and roll decoration to round arch. Interior re-seated 1857, remainder mostly of 1906. Base of Norman font with drop-leaf corners. Very fine Royal Arms in plaster- work on west wall dated 1716 and coloured. Nave roof C20 is timber. Collars to principals supported by arched braces springing from corbels, through purlins. Chancel roof similar but moulded butt-purlins.

Listing NGR: TL8938684014

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
219862
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07051/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Hull. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].