CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1342814
Date first listed:
16-Jul-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342814.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 23:28:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
Tottington
National Grid Reference:
TL 89397 95521

Details

TOTTINGTON TL 89 NW

3/86 Church of St. Andrew.

16.7.58 II*

Parish church. c.1360, restored 1885-6 by E.P. Willins. Rendered flint with ashlar quoins and tiled and pantiled roofs. West tower, nave, aisles and chancel. Tower of 4 stages. Angle buttresses to west becoming diagonal and diagonal to east. Arched and moulded west door below 2-light window. Cusped lancets to ringing chamber and 2-light belfry windows, louvred. Battlemented parapet with string course. Small kneelers to coped aisle walls. South porch with rebuilt round arch in brick below small niche. Blocked 3-light Perpen- dicular windows east and west under flat hoods. Roof with tie bars and braces to ridge piece. Undercut moulded door. Chancel with priest's door, one flat buttress north and south and diagonal at east. Clerestorey walls rebuilt in 1886 with new 3-light cusped windows. All aisle and chancel windows covered with corrugated iron sheets but tracery survives of transitional Decorated and Perpendicular styles as follows (from south aisle west to north aisle west via east end) : 3-light panel with spiked lozenges; 2-light ogeed with reticulation units within larger units vertically; 2-light reticulation net; 2-light round headed cusped lights and diagonal petal; 3-light piled mouchettes; 2-light panel; 2-light panel; east window C19 stem and leaf; 3- light intersecting; 3-light pierced panel; 2-light ogeed with rounded trefoils in vesica; 2-light panel above battlemented transom; 2-light ogeed with 3 mouchettes (14 windows). Interior has 4-bay arcade. Quatrefoil piers with continuous hollows and filleted lobes north and south on low polygonal bases. Polygonal capitals support chamfer and sunk quadrant arches with hood on head stops. Clerestorey window splays fall below apex of arcade. Tall chancel arch similar. Nave and south aisle roofs 1886. Nave scissor braced with collars on battlemented wall plates. North aisle roof mainly C14. Moulded rafters and purlins. Alternate principals on arched braces carrying pierced traceried spandrels. Chancel roof lowered and plastered. Cinquefoiled sedilia and piscina. Reredos 1896. Plain octagonal font. No other furnishings.

Listing NGR: TL8939795521

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
220124
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jan 2002
Reference: IOE01/06927/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Giles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].