1721-1727, HIGH STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1342883
Date first listed:
20-Nov-1986
Statutory Address:
1721-1727, HIGH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342883.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Apr-2021 at 05:46:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
1721-1727, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Solihull (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 18236 76668

Details

SOLIHULL 1. 5108 KNOWLE HIGH STREET SP 1876 & SP 1976 (East Side) 20/482 Nos 1721-1727 (odd) II GV

2. Almshouse row. 1885 by William Hawley Lloyd of Birmingham for the Berrow Cottage Homes Trust, in a Queen Anne revival style. Brick with moulded brick dressings and decoration and some stone dressings; plain tiled roofs with tall single ridge stack with oversailing cornicing to left and paired similar ridge stacks to right. Plan consists of two tall gabled cross wings with lateral side wings to left and right of each, linked by a short lower block. Single storey. Ground floor bay windows under both gables with leaded bell-cast-roofs, both divided by inset doorways. Both gables have two tiers of cut and moulded brick decoration in Perpendicular - Gothic-like tracery panels. The link-block contains two boarded doors and has a moulded stone parapet and two urns. Single window in right-hand wing. End-gables of row have tracery-panelled gables and ogee Tudor-arched dripmoulds, continued to either side as bands, over a boarded door and a window. Inset stone plaque in left hand gable giving details of foundation of almshouses.

Listing NGR: SP1823776671

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
218347
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01575/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr C Lee. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].