CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1342987
Date first listed:
18-Jan-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342987.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 12:13:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Daventry (District Authority)
Parish:
Braunston
National Grid Reference:
SP 53696 66136

Details

BRAUNSTON HIGH STREET SP5366 (North side) 18/82 Church of All Saints 18/01/68

GV II

Church. Medieval origin, rebuilt 1849 by R.C. Hussey. Restored 1874 by W. Butterfield. Sandstone and ironstone ashlar, limestone dressings. Slate Roof. Chancel with south aisle, aisled nave, north and south porches, west tower and spire. Decorated style. 3-windows with flowing tracery in east walls of chancel and south aisle. 2-light windows in side walls. Traceried parapet to nave and chancel. West tower with pinnacles and crocketed octagonal spire. Interior: 3-bay south arcade to chancel, in part C14-C15 has double-chamfered arches and octagonal piers. Perpendicular double-chamfered arch with half octagonal responds between chancel aisle and south aisle of nave. 5-bay nave arcades with octagonal piers. Chancel roof, probably by Butterfield, has timber boards with plate tracery and stencil decoration. Red and grey marble font, probably also by Butterfield. Pulpit c.1880, grey and pink marble. Mosaic saints flanking altar, c.1880. Early C14 stone effigy of a knight, cross legged with a rosette between his feet said to be a member of the de Ros family, lords of the manor from the C12 to Cl6. Circular Romanesque font, weathered, with traces of cable moulding, Head of C14 churchyard cross, has badly eroded reliefs of the crucifixion with figures of a priest and a warrior. Stained glass: south aisle of chancel 1849 by Wailes and in the chancel, 1863 by Hughes. The chancel was said to have been decorated under the supervision of Butterfield in 1874-80 but was redecorated in 1928. A reredos by Butterfield is said to survive beneath the present panelling. Funds for rebuilding the church were raised by a national appeal made by the Rector A.B. Clough, who pointed to the increase in population due to the building of the canals and the need "to extend the means of religious instruction to that benighted class of people engaged in our inland navigation". (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.120; Anon.: Church Guide, 1984).

Listing NGR: SP5369666136

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
360971
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Braunston Church of All Saints Church Guide, (1984)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 120

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/02407/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr John Airlie Hunter. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].