BIRCHLEY HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1343273

Date first listed: 23-Aug-1966

Statutory Address: BIRCHLEY HALL, BIRCHLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BIRCHLEY HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1343273 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 12:18:00.

Location

Statutory Address: BIRCHLEY HALL, BIRCHLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: St. Helens (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Billinge Chapel End

National Grid Reference: SJ 52419 99817

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 59 NW BILLINGE CHAPEL END BIRCHLEY ROAD (west side) 4/10 Birchley Hall 23.8.66

- II*

House, now Sue Ryder Memorial Home. 1594 for James Anderton. South wing, 1618 for James or Christopher Anderton. Stone with stone slate roof. 3 storeys, 5 bays, all with gables, 2nd and 4th bays project, end bays project further. Gables are coped with kneelers. Most windows have ovolo mullions and label moulds and are of 3 and 4 lights. End bay windows and ground floor window of central bay replaced by C18 windows which are sashed with glazing bars. Entrance to 4th bay has Tudor head. Blocked entrance to 1st floor of 2nd bay with inserted window. South chapel wing has varied fenestration with some hollow-chamfered mullions to ground floor windows. External stair on brick arches to 2nd floor inserted entrance in 1st bay. Interior: remains of priest's hole and secret cupboard, 1st floor stair has turned balusters. Some Tudor arched door heads. C18 fireplace in 1st floor room. A secret printing press operated in the house c.1647, the 1st post-Reformation Catholic press in England.

Listing NGR: SJ5241999817

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 216300

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing