MOAT HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1343333
Date first listed:
18-Oct-1949
Statutory Address:
MOAT HOUSE, 24, LICHFIELD ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1343333.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Mar-2021 at 21:48:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
MOAT HOUSE, 24, LICHFIELD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Birmingham (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 12134 96698

Details

1. 5104 LICHFIELD ROAD (East Side)

No 24 (Moat House) SP 1296 1/12 18.10.49

II* GV

2. Circa 1680 by Sir William Wilson (1641-1710), for his own occupation (though still resident at Langley Hall in 1683). Red brick, stone dressings, old tiled roof with stone coped gables to side elevations, balustraded parapet to front with central round arched panel under archivolt on Doric pilasters and columns. 2 storeys, basement and attics. 5 sash windows with glazing bars, cornices on Doric pilasters. Corinthian angle pilasters and pair to centre supporting entablature. Bolection moulded archivolt with keystone, fanlight, half columns and 6 fielded panelled door to central doorway. 2 panelled chimney stacks. Back has 2 oval dormers, gabled slight projection to centre, later ground floor bow on right. C19 2 storey 1 window wing on north. Interior: early panelling and chimneypieces, turned balusters and moulded handrail to open string well staircase.

Nos 24 and 26 form a group.

Listing NGR: SP1213796706

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
216596
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 May 2006
Reference: IOE01/15262/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Garratt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].