THE GEORGE AND DRAGON PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1343354

Date first listed: 08-Jul-1982

Statutory Address: THE GEORGE AND DRAGON PUBLIC HOUSE, 12 AND 13, ALBION STREET B1

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE GEORGE AND DRAGON PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1343354 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 12:49:19.

Location

Statutory Address: THE GEORGE AND DRAGON PUBLIC HOUSE, 12 AND 13, ALBION STREET B1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Birmingham (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SP 05906 87407

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ALBION STREET 1. 5104 Hockley B1 Nos 12 and 13 (The George and Dragon Public House) SP 0587 SE 27/1 II. 2. A public house with a 5 bay elevation to Albion Street and returns to Pope Street and Carver Street. The Pope Street corner probably dates back to circa 1820 with the rest of the front added or rebuilt circa 1860-70 at the same time as alterations to the fenestration and refurbishment of the ground floor. Three storeys red brick with bowed stucco panel to Carver Street corner. Hipped slate roof with paired cut brackets to eaves. Pub front throughout ground floor with windows and doorways framed by banded shafts with large crocketed capitals. Panelled doors with painted glass. Leaded glazing with colonette mullions to windows. Entablature curved up over circular overdoors. Two bays to west and Pope Street return have revealed marginal glazed sashes on upper floors. Three bays to east have circa 1870 sashes flanking revealed oriel bay window with shafting and details similar to pub front. Similar oriel to Carver Street return. The latter front has one storey extension by James and Lister Lea of 1922.

Listing NGR: SP0590987408

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 216712

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing